The Dream | Teen Ink

The Dream

By BrianDunlop PLATINUM, Valley Stream, New York
BrianDunlop PLATINUM, Valley Stream, New York

Ironically, dreams are what drives our reality." - myself

A lonely man just sat there with a grin on his face. Odd. I turned my attention, elsewhere and saw a woman sitting down, with a book in one hand, and a baby girl, in the other. Was this woman mad? How can she have read that book, while still watching the baby? Hmmmm. What book is she reading? The Art of War, is it? No wait…what about the baby? She doesn’t know how to take care of that baby. It’s crawling all over her shoulder. It might escape…oh no, it doesn’t. That woman must be strong. This bores me, very much. I wonder what that bum in the corner is thinking. Man, is his clothes ragged. He must be in here for the dope. That scum.

“Alfred Walsh!”, called a loud woman’s voice.

I broke out of my daydream like trance, abruptly. Oh yeah…I am at the doctors. “Alred Walsh!”, yelled the woman, again. I’m coming…. I staggered, my way past a row of people, sitting in chairs, with a look on their face like they are really at a place, that they don’t want to be. I walked up to the counter, where behind a glass window, sat a very short and pretty blonde secretary. How can that little woman, make that loud a noise. I then glanced at her and said,“Hi, I’m Alfred Walsh." “Finally…”, said the woman. “You’ve been just sitting there, staring off for like five minutes….are you on drugs, sir?” “What? What? Excuse me?!”, said I to the woman. Who does she think she is? I didn’t even know this person. “Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh”, said the woman. The woman then closed a curtain over her glass window, that said, “Out of Service.” What the hell was that about? I then turned my attention to the door, a few feet away from the counter. I guess, I’ll just go in there and see the doctor, myself. I then walked towards the door, turned the door knob and made my way towards the doctor’s office.

I looked all around. Everything seemed like a dream. Nurses ran past me. Doctors came screaming down the hallway with stretchers, where the dying lay. Everything seemed so fast. So quick. So…surreal. I walked up to a metal plated door. A sign, hanged high on the cold glass window of the door. The sign said, “Dr. Neil Rothman.” I then felt a cold pressure, push up against my back. I then turn around. What the ...? It’s my doctor and he is grabbing my shoulder. Okay…guy. I don’t know you that well. I mean you are my doctor. I only see you like three times a year and you’re like twenty years older than me. “Hey, Dr. Rothman”, I said to the creepy guy. “Hey Alfred.”, said the doctor. “I guess it’s time.” “I guess it is,” I said. After I shook his hand, we then proceed to his office…where I would find out the test results.

“Hello, Mr. Walsh”, said the doctor. “Hey…how did my test results come out?”, I said to the doctor, while sitting on a cold table, covered with paper. “Well, Mr. Walsh….I’m sad to inform you this, but it is no good.”, said the doctor, with a sad look on his face. Oh my God….no good, what does that mean? “No good, what do you mean by that?!”, I said to the doctor . “Well, the test results weren’t good and it looks like you only have one day left to live.”, said the doctor with a troubled look on his face. What? I only have one day left to live. What will I do? What can I do? Life is too short. Why do I deserve this? What did I do to deserve this? I am only twenty years old. “Are you okay… Mr. Walsh”, said the doctor. “Uhhhhhhh”, were the only words that could come out of my mouth. I am sickened. I am frightened. I don’t know what to do and then it hit me. Everything seems good, now. I am one with the world and it is one with me. There is nothing to worry about. The world is here and it loves me and I love the world. I then fell into a dream as nurses and doctors alike rushed over to me. And what a dream it was.