The Sister of Autism | Teen Ink

The Sister of Autism

By roxawesomeness PLATINUM, Manassas, Virginia
roxawesomeness PLATINUM, Manassas, Virginia

Peace, Love, and R&R

I watch my brother Tyler as he plays his videogames. Something about the Mario brothers, I'm sure. I'm sitting at the computer, trying to finish the last of my Spanish homework. Tyler jumps up and down and dances, as if he's one of the characters.
"Stop being a weirdo." I tell the eleven-year old.
"Are you calling me stupid?"
I should probably explain. Tyler has Asperger's Syndrome, ADHD, and to top it all off, an auditory processing deficit. That means he doesn't get along with groups, can't concentrate, and every time I say something, he hears something different.
"No, Tyler, I'm not. I just-" It's too late. Tyler's already calling Mom to come yell at me. I can tell it's Mom coming down to the basement, because of her slow steady steps. If it had been Tyler just coming back down, they'd be loud, and sound like a drummer who's off-beat.
"Ashley, what have I told you about calling Tyler stupid?"
"I never-" There was no point. Mom would just take Tyler's side, as usual. And I'd just have to go along with it.

My brother inspired this story. I love him with all my heart but sometimes it's hard to live with him. But I know how to get through it.

on Aug. 20 2011 at 7:50 pm
JerseyGirl716 BRONZE, Central, New Jersey

"We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot." -Eleanor Roosevelt

My brother has PDD/NOS, and I've lived this story way too many times. Just stay strong :)