My Big Brother's Polka Dots | Teen Ink

My Big Brother's Polka Dots

July 23, 2009
By Mickey BRONZE, East Grand Rapids, Michigan
Mickey BRONZE, East Grand Rapids, Michigan
3 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
Tough times don't last. Tough people do.


Hey, wanna know a secret? My big brother, Tobin, is polka-dotted. If you don't believe me you can look for yourself! He tries real hard to hide them but one day while he was changing I saw them. They’re real pretty, all different shapes and sizes and colors. Most are dark purple and black, but some are this bluish color and they're all over his body. One day I asked him how he got his polka-dots and he said they're not polka-dots and that daddy gave them to him. This confuses me though, because daddy is always yelling at Tobin about something so why should he get the polka-dots when I'm his little princess? I told him I wanted some and he said no you don't and I said yeah I do because how can he know what I want and he said trust me you don’t. So I’m trusting him but it makes me angry that he gets all the polka-dots and I don't get any. When I told Tobin that he laughed a weird laugh like I said something funny said you’re too young and you just don’t get it then went to go get daddy another beer. Yesterday I accidentally poked one of his polka-dots and he yelped like skip when I step on his paws. Then he told me don’t do that it hurts and made me promise not to tell anyone about his polka-dots but I never was good at keeping secrets so I told you. But you have to promise not to tell anyone else! okay?


The author's comments:
I read the book The boy in the Striped Pajammas quite some time ago but the idea of writing about an extremly dark and slightly horrifiying topic through the frusturatingly naive eyes of of an innocent young child never left me. I chose to write this about child abuse, which, in my opinion, is underexposed, through the eyes of a younger sibling. I hope you like it!!!