DWELLING | Teen Ink

DWELLING

By Jimmyma BRONZE, Beijing, Other
Jimmyma BRONZE, Beijing, Other
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

From the second-floor window of the clubhouse, Zhang Ziqiang gazed out at the nearby runway, where a group of teenagers were pushing themselves to their limits. The two rows of majestic camphor trees outside stood tall and dense, while cicadas sang their chorus. Although his facial features were sharply defined, Zhang Ziqiang's expression remained devoid of warmth, and his air of aloofness emanated an aura of aloofness.

Yesterday, he received a call from the developer summoning him to the sales department this morning and granting him priority in resolving the issue with his condo. He couldn't help but wonder if his relentless online criticism had made an impact. His new condo was supposed to have been delivered two years ago, but due to the developer's financial difficulties, it remains unfinished and there is no guarantee of a refund for the money he has already paid.. The repeated postponements of their wedding date have caused increasing frustration for Xiaoqi's parents, putting a strain on their relationship." He had arrived at the sales department today with hopeful anticipation that everything would finally be resolved, only to find its doors closed and a crowd of disgruntled buyers gathered outside. Since leaving the office, his chest feels tight and painful as if it might burst at any moment.

Xiaoqi reclined on a grand velvet sofa, her delicate hands caressing the smooth silk fabric. The first time Ziqiang brought her to this dormitory, she felt as though she had stepped into a luxurious five-star hotel. The room may have been small, but it exuded opulence with its glistening marble floors with a golden hue, sumptuous green velvet curtains adorning the windows, and a beautifully crafted cherry-wood coffee table adorned with intricate golden patterns. Despite initially mocking the club owner for their ostentatious display of wealth, Xiaoqi now found herself entranced by the room's exquisite beauty. In particular, she found herself mesmerized by the enchanting pendant crystal lamp above the coffee table, casting a mesmerizing array of colors throughout the room. She silently vowed to decorate her future bridal chamber with an equally enchanting crystal lamp. Think of here, she looked up at Zhang Ziqiang straight back, nine years have passed, and she was still fascinated by his lasting handsomeness.

That year, he ascended to the final of the prestigious British Junior Badminton Championships. From the stands, she gazed at him with unwavering focus. His strategic intercept, consecutive kill, and every powerful smash pierced her heart. She enthusiastically cheered for each breakthrough and triumph. After his championship victory, she eagerly approached him to exchange personal contact information. After completing her college education, she wholeheartedly returned to China without hesitation to follow in his footsteps.

Xiaoqi was fully dedicated to supporting Zhang's athletic pursuits, from enthusiastically attending every game to assisting in both his personal life and recovery. In her eyes, he is not only strikingly handsome but also remarkably determined and ambitious - a true warrior on the court yet possessing the innocence and candor of a child.

Four years ago, in a pivotal match that would determine his destiny, Ziqiang fought to a tiebreak decider. He was elated, knowing it meant he was now eligible for the national team and his career would soar to new heights. However, upon learning of the coach's insinuation, Ziqiang realized that his parents, who owned a modest grocery store, couldn't afford it. Despite winning two additional league titles, the door to the national team remained closed to him. There are too many good badminton players in China!Two years ago, Ziqiang made the decision to leave everything behind and embrace a simpler life. He retired from professional competition and came to Xiaoqi’s hometown where he became a coach at a local badminton club. While preparing for their new life together, Ziqiang had paid upfront for a new condo and was eagerly looking forward to marrying his girlfriend 9 years.

The resounding “DongDong” of the door knock reverberatedheavily, igniting a  unnamedless flame in the heart of ZiQiang. With haste, he rushed to open the door, exerting such force that the handle was pulled down by his strength. Upon seeing the young man, Chen Hao was struck by a moment of astonishment: “This gentleman is even more strikingly handsome in person than he appears on television.' As an ardent badminton fan, Chen Hao had previously witnessed the young man's remarkable performance in the Super League and was captivated by his powerful attacking skills.

"I am officer Chen Hao, and this is my distinguished partner Zhao Yong," announced Chen Hao proudly as he displayed his police officer's certificate. Suddenly, his attention was drawn to the door handle in Ziqiang's hand, prompting him to instinctively reach out and touch Zhao Yong,“We have been assigned by the network monitoring brigade to investigate some troubling online behavior related to your publication of extreme comments. We are here to investigate..."

"What's going on? What's going on?" Suddenly a very beautiful young girl rushed to Chen Hao in front of him. Her long hair has slightly messy, sticking to her cheek. It was evident that she had been crying, with her anxious eyes filled with tears. Chen Hao speculated that this girl must be Zhang Ziqiang's fiancée. Chen Hao had read Zhang Ziqiang's article on the Internet, which mentioned that the delay in the delivery of the wedding room caused great harm to his emotional life.

“Ah, we would like to inquire about a certain matter,” Chen Hao responded with gentle consideration. It is worth noting that Chen Hao's sister has also fallen victim to the housing sale debacle. After diligently saving for over a decade in hopes of purchasing a new condo, she found herself without either the property or her hard-earned funds. Witnessing his sister shed tears on multiple occasions deeply affected Chen Hao.

“Ouch! You -- "  The girl's eyes widened in shock as she saw the handcuffs encircling Zhao Yong's waist. She quickly stifled a gasp with trembling fingers.

"Huh? No need to worry. We were just asking some questions. We can see you're busy." Chen Hao genuinely sympathized with the girl, quickly pulled Zhao Yong's arm, motioned for them to leave. As they left, he gently advised, "Be careful what you say online." Zhao Yong walked away in a daze.gently tugged on Zhao Yong's arm to signal their departure. As they left, he softly advised, "Be careful about what you say online." With that, Zhao Yong was led away in a daze.

Once the two police officers at the end of the corridor had disappeared, Zhang Ziqiang finally had a chance to process what had happened. He looked at Xiao qi and was taken aback. Tears streamed down her cheeks like a small stream while her body trembled. Without hesitation, he released the doorknob and rushed over to gently grasp her shoulders for comfort. However, no words came out - they simply stood there in silence.

"I regret to inform you that I can no longer wait for you." After a prolonged wait, Xiao Qi lifted her gaze and scrutinized the man she had cherished for nine years as if etching his face into her memory. With gentle determination, she withdrew her shoulder from his touch, gathered her strength once more, and elegantly turned and glided towards the door.

As he stood there, gazing at her intently, he extended his hand and attempted to utter her name, yet eventually fell silent as she walked away without a backward glance.

After a long time, Ziqiang went to the sofa and sat down wearily. It seemed that he had exhausted all his strength.

"Excuse me, Coach Zhang?" A small figure dressed in a vibrant red shirt with blue accents darted into the room. It was the youngest student, Jimmy, who said haltingly, "The warm-up is over. Are we going to start the training session now?"

"Very well. You can go ahead, I'll follow closely behind."

Zhang Ziqiang rose to his feet, carefully adjusted his sportswear with care, and strode purposefully toward the training grounds.

The cicadas resounded melodiously in the fragrant camphor trees, their enthusiasm filling the air.

This is a story about my badminton coach, who comes from a humble background. His parents owned a small grocery store, and at the age of nine, he left his family to join a renowned badminton team located 1,000 kilometers away. Despite being selected for the national team, due to his lack of strong connections, he did not have the opportunity to compete in major international tournaments during his prime years. Eventually, he had to bid a tearful farewell to the sport. Subsequently, he faced financial and emotional difficulties, leading him into a challenging life. I sympathize with what he has been through.

Through this fiction, I hope to remind people of the importance of respecting athletes as professionals. It is my hope that readers will reflect on whether they only idolize a few successful athletes who have become entertainment stars, while looking down upon those ordinary athletes without fame. In reality, it is these unsung heroes who silently dedicate their youth and even sacrifice their health in order to promote the advancement of sports worldwide.

Jimmyma BRONZE said...
on Apr. 14 at 7:29 am
Jimmyma BRONZE, Beijing, Other
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
I hope everything goes well with my coach