The Scary Monster: Plastic | Teen Ink

The Scary Monster: Plastic

I turn on the news, there is this horrible polymer substance that is known to be a monster in disguise affecting my town and around the world! Apparently this monster has been secretly causing destruction since centuries ago, but we just now found out about it. 

This monster has a bad rep from around the world, and it is starting to not be welcomed anywhere. The monster is accused of leaving its own waste in different rivers and streets. Everyone has been saying it has been toxic and bad for them although the monster was favored by many when it first became a substance.

This monster eventually spread everywhere, there were duplicates anywhere you went; it was stuck on trees, found in every form of water, outside of neighborhoods, basically anywhere you went you could see this monster in plain sight.

Some of the reasons why people hate this monster is because it was a toxic substance that rubbed off on people. It was accused of poisoning the water and animals in it, and released fumes that are bad for people to breathe in. Even though it has been here for ages, it made the whole climate of the world get warmer. Eventually it even got the soil in the ground contaminated.

Despite that people didn’t like how the monster was always everywhere, the convenience of the monster was taken for granted. All the other substances used have gotten more and more expensive and people are starting to not be able to afford basic necessities, like bags, containers, bottles of lotion, food packaging items and more. Now even the transportation of everyday necessities has now been producing more toxic fumes into the environment. The skies are now always foggy and the sun hasn’t been shining the same. People thought that even though the monster has gotten bad, even without it it has gotten worse gradually after people have stopped seeing the monster as much. The economy plummeted and people were realizing that the monster also had more than negative effects since it was only a small price to pay for an entire community. 

People were realizing that maybe it wasn’t the monster's fault after all, maybe it was the people as a society who have made this economy more and more weak. The monster actually has been helping humanity by giving more items in everyday lives cheaper than other types of substances.

People started forgiving the monster and accepting the fact it has helped us in a way that no other substance could. Maybe, if we think about it, the monster wasn't so bad. It just was trying to help people, not trying to hurt the environment. From the moment we wake up, to the time we go to bed, the monster gave us life and helped us thrive in this world. As we thought the monster was the villain, possibly it's our entire world that has been hurting earth from the beginning.

Even if people still hate the monster, I accepted the fact that it has been a big part of my life. Thank you monster. I love you.

It symbolizes the monster as plastic.