Due Date | Teen Ink

Due Date

By sljgnv BRONZE, Cupertino, California
sljgnv BRONZE, Cupertino, California
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

It was 7:00 PM and he hasn’t started his homework yet, even though it is due tomorrow. He often procrastinates on most of his work, leading to his assignments piling up more and more.  Even when he wants to start and make decent progress, he would find more and more excuses not to do it, which would make the simple task of starting seem daunting. When he does finish something, it would be extremely rushed, making him feel that he can’t do it well, and pushing it back, more and more, with the cycle repeating over, and over again. 

He knows what would happen if he leaves all the work until the last minute, but, it just ends up happening, whether it is because he forgets about his work entirely, or because he can’t find the energy to do it. 

The only way to procrastinate less would be to create a schedule, one to tell him what he should be doing, which is what he did. Looking at it, he sees that it’s time to start. So, with a sigh, he started on his homework.

In this set piece I wrote in third-person like Raymond Carver. I had a little repetition near the beginning. My favorite part of the story is the ending.