Careless | Teen Ink

Careless

“He doesn’t care” or does he? His thoughts are cloudy, he's groggy, and he isn't motivated to wake from his dreams of cotton candy and hugs. The people who love him surround him in his dreams, and Christmas is an all the time thing. His dreams have a calming soundtrack of “Claire De Lune” all the time, until he wakes. Then the sorrowful day begins and he cares. He is motivated, and energetic. He rushes in a panic to shower and clean up for another day of work. He prepares mentally for his first shift as it is one of the easiest throughout the day, but can’t focus on anything. A collage of noise hits hard, announcements, failure to comply to command, and finally release and acceptance of defeat. In one or three shifts, he is mentally and physically exhausted due to the home work he was assigned the day before. His work he cannot complete piles and becomes a mountainous terrain for him to have to climb on top of to reach the recent work. He, the tired, sad, and lonely being he is, gives up hope of recovery. He finds that he will be fired in five weeks if he cannot complete all of his past due work. He panics and fries his brain on his days off, exhausting himself and working through the muscle and skin to his bones, but doesn’t do his work adequately and fails. He knows he will be fired at the rate he goes. He reaches so far, and misses by miles, he can’t seem to troubleshoot correctly. Back to dream world for an hour or so, the hour or so turns to an hour five minutes or so, then an hour and ten minutes or so, after four hours he wakes up, motivated again, but to do what? His work is completed but poorly, and he doesn’t want to do it again. He gives up, but he cares. He is fired, and he cares, he is alone; and he cares.

I wrote this a long time ago probably in the 8th grade maybe in my freshman year. My mom always was telling me I didn't care about anything and I never tried to do anything, so I wrote about it.