Last play | Teen Ink

Last play

May 20, 2022
By tyler555 BRONZE, Maumee, Ohio
tyler555 BRONZE, Maumee, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It was my senior year of college, I was at Ohio State. We were facing Michigan in the Big Ten championship.  The score?  42-42. We had the ball with 3 seconds left. We were down on our own 5 yard line.  I set the line and started my cadence, “Red 90, Red 90 go, Check, Check ranger,” we don't want to go to overtime.  “Set, GO!”  I take the snap, and Bennett is wide open!  I threw it way down field.  He starts to bobble it, but is still going towards the end zone.  The safety is closing in.  Bennett got obliterated by the safety, and you could tell by his scream.  He got hit right on the ribs, which he had injured earlier in the season.   The refs say it's incomplete, but they reviewed it, and it took what felt like 15 hours.  “ The ruling on the field stands, incomplete.” “BOOOOOOOOOO!” screamed the crowd.  “But there was a penalty.  Offsides, defense number 4.  5 yard penalty, replay 4th down.  Please reset the game clock to 3 seconds.”   One more shot to win it all.  Coach called the last timeout, and we hustled over. “Alright. Bennett, you good?” Coach asked.  “ I don't know coach.  I might be able to go for one more play.”  “ Okay. Let's feed Bennett.”  said the coach.  I took over the huddle.  Then I saw Drew.   “Drew,  run our play”  I say.  Our play was fake inside, fake outside, and go to the endzone.  We

practiced it a million times, but hadn’t used it in a game until today.  “Purple 80,  Purple 80, Set, HUT HUT.”  I took the snap, pump faked twice, Drew faked in, faked out, and was wide open going to the endzone.  Bennett and Gabe ran their routes perfectly, and it showed.  Without them,  Drew wouldn’t have been so Wide Open.  He could have taken a nap in the amount of time it would have taken a defensive player to touch him.   I threw it as hard as I could, knowing he would get under it and somehow catch it.  He caught it and turned on the jets.  The safety got in his way and he ran him over.  He was around the 5 when the defensive back dove and hit his foot.  He tripped and dove for the endzone.  He tried to reach the goal line, and then it happened.

We walked to midfield, arms interlocked, ready for the coin toss.  We called tails, and it landed on tails.  We deferred, and they got the ball.  They threw a pick in the red zone, and Kole scored a pick six, 7-0.  They threw a bomb, and scored, 7-7.  I took the snap,  pumpfaked left, and threw it to Gabe, but the safety came over and intercepted it, and was then immediately tackled by Gabe.  They scored again, making it 14-7.  I took the snap, faked a handoff, and threw a bubble screen to Drew,  but he got annihilated by the defensive back,  fumbled,  and they recovered it.  Our defense barely got a stop.  Bennett had almost gotten mossed for a touchdown,  But out of nowhere Gabe came and snagged that succer out of mid air. We had the ball on our 38, and we drove right down the field, but got a quick three and out inside the 10.   The kicking unit went out there,  but it was blocked, giving them momentum, because that ended the first half.  

They dominated the 3 quarter, with bombs over our heads,  runs up the gut, and even screen passes that somehow got through the entire defense for a touchdown.  The score after that one quarter was 42-14.  I told everyone to run as the play coach had signaled in, but then noticed how Gabe man was pressing him, and I audibled Gabe to go on a streak.  I threw it up to him, and he mossed the defender,  shattered the safety’s ankles, and scored, making it 42-14.  Our defense barely stopped them from scoring on fourth down,  but they did, and Bennett  scored on a 21 dive right in between the offensive lineman, 42-28.  10 minutes left, down 14,  Their ball on the twenty.  Gabe got a pick, and scored,  and we were down 7. Our D barely gets a stop, but their punter pinned us inside the 10.  5 minutes left, down 7,  down on our own 7.  Devin got a huge gain, and he would have scored if his pants didn’t fall down.  His booty was hanging out for at least 30 yards before he bolted to the locker room.   I threw a bomb to Gabe, but it fell incomplete.  I threw another bomb to a wide open Gabe, and this time he caught it and scored.  They received the kick,  and chewed the clock and moved the ball at the same time.  Our coach used 2 of our 3 timeouts, one to stop the clock, and one to ice the kicker for what would have been a game winning kick, and it may be..  They kicked it out of the endzone, giBennett ran a go,  Bobbled it for like 10 yards, and got obliterated on the 10.  The scream told you how hard he got hit.   It only took 5 minutes to review the play,  to determine if he had caught it or not.  “The ruling on the field stands, incomplete.” “BOOOOOOOOOO” screamed the crowd.  “But there was a penalty.  Offsides, defense number 4.  5 yard penalty, replay 4th down.  Please reset the game clock to 3 seconds.”   One more shot to win it all.  Coach called the last timeout, and we hustled over. “Alright. Bennett, you good?” Coach asked.  “ I don't know coach.  I might be able to go for one more play.”  “ Okay. Let's feed Bennett.”  said the coach.  I took over the huddle.  “Bennett, run our play.”  I say.  “HUT HUT.”  I took the snap, pump faked twice, Bennett faked in, faked out, and was wide open going to the endzone.  I threw it as hard as I could, knowing he would get under it and somehow catch it.  He caught it and turned on the jets.  The safety got in his way and he ran him over.  

He was around the 5 when the defensive back dove and hit his foot.  He tripped and dove for the endzone.  He tried to reach the goal line, and then it happened.  He got lit up by the linebacker when he reached  for the goaline, and fumbled.  The refs reviewed it.  They said “The ball did not break the plane of the goaline.  That is the end of regulation”  The crowd went nuts.  They were excited to see more football.  

This time me and Gabe walked out, side by side and we took the toss.  We lost, and they took the ball.  “SET  HUT HUT '' yelled their qb.  Their z receiver was WIDE the frick open,  and their Qb heaved it to him, he caught it, and scored.  Their kicker missed the extra point, making it 48-42.  We had 10 minutes to score.  We took the ball, and slowly but surely moved down the field with runs, short passes, and a few deep shots.  Just to get to 25.  We had 4 seconds left and a dream. The play was 2, z out, 5, 9.   I would hit the 9.  I called hut, looked left, and turned and threw an absolute bomb of a pass to Gabe, and he mossed the defender who happened to be our old friend Ashton, and then Gabe toe tapped in the back corner of the endzone were I threw it.  All the fans surrounded us as me, Gabe and Bennett were held up by our team.  What a way to end the season. I had 79 touchdown passes that season. A new league record.  Bennett also was the heisman trophy winner.  Gabe, me and Bennett all were together during draft night.  “With the first pick in the 2023 NFL draft, the Tennessee titans select...”


The author's comments:

I am A writer who loves sports, and I thought I might as well write a piece about my favorite sport.