A Warm Summer Night | Teen Ink

A Warm Summer Night

May 17, 2009
By Isabella Grabski GOLD, Glen Rock, New Jersey
Isabella Grabski GOLD, Glen Rock, New Jersey
10 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Hot air wafted in through the screen windows as I lounged on my bed, sipping the cool, refreshing lemonade. Outside, the familiar noises of tires rubbing against the rough surface of the road echoed, and I listened contentedly. It was too humid to read or hang out with my friends, so I was perfectly happy to relax, half-lost in a misty daydream.

Suddenly, there was a loud screech as bumper smashed into bumper. There were yells, and then brief quietude, before sirens tore through the air. Jolted out of my thoughts, I put down my glass and shoved my flip flops on. As I pushed open the door of my room, Eddie ran by. "A crash," he called, hurrying down the stairs.

I followed, heart thumping. For a few moments, I couldn't undo the latch on the back door, but it felt like long years. Finally, the door creaked open, and I ran out. Sweat beaded on my forehead. The science teacher at our school had once explained to us that if time ever stopped, oxygen particles would become as hard as iron ones. I could hardly breathe and momentarily wondered if time had indeed stopped.

But the sirens were still sounding their cry, and fire engine after police car after fire engine raced past me, creating a small, short lived breeze. A dark figure streaked past me, and I froze, before realizing it was just the neighborhood cat.

Running, I soon reached the intersection of the two streets, where two smashed up cars stood still. Around me, kids gradually gathered, curiosity painted on their faces. "Look," Sara whispered to me, pigtails swinging. "Isn't that Maggie's car?"

The dark blue car, with its windshield shattered and front terribly damaged, did look familiar. She peered at me. "Are you all right, Kate? You're pale!"

"I...I'm fine," I managed, blood pumping and ears ringing. "Is that really her car?"

Sara nodded confidently. "Yeah, I know her car. Cheap model." Glancing around, she leaned closer. "I think there's something wrong with her, though. She's so...weird. You know what I mean?"

I swallowed. Amid the shrieking sirens, there was silence.