Birthday Crash | Teen Ink

Birthday Crash

Charlie is a good bicycle rider, but sometimes he likes to do tricks when he is riding with his friends.  He also likes to do tricks on his skateboard, but sometimes he pushes the limits more on his bike.  On this Saturday, Charlie does push those limits and falls off of his bike, while going down hill.  The pain is so bad, and Charlie knows he must go find his mom to tell her he is hurt.  

When Charlie and his mom arrive at the hospital, the doctors must do xrays.  Charlie has broken his collarbone and arm.  His best friend’s birthday party is in only an hour, and Charlie fears that he is not going to make it in time.  Because they will need to put Charlie in a cast and make sure everything else is okay, the doctor says that he will need to spend the night.  Man is he bummed!  He is worried that his best friend will be mad at him for missing his party.

Charlie’s mom calls his friend’s mom to let her know that will not be able to make it, and she says they are only worried that he is hurt and hopes he will be okay. Now he will have to give his friend the super cool snowboard that he bought him on a different day.  He worries about that as he drifts off to sleep since the doctor gave him some medicine to make his pain go away.

He is dreaming about the birthday party, and can even hear all of the boys that were invited like they are in the same room.  Charlie forces himself to wake up and open his eyes, but he must still be dreaming, because he can now see all of the boys at the party.  He hears his mom calling his name, trying to wake him up.  All of the boys on the party invitation list, and the birthday boy are in his hospital room!  They even have a big cake and balloons with them.  

Because he was so hurt and in pain, his best friend decided to bring the party to him!  They were now having a Get Well Soon/Birthday party in Charlie’s hospital room.  Charlie was so happy to find out that his best friend was not upset for him missing the party, and they even joked that his friend was going to buy him a roll of bubble wrap for his own birthday so that he can’t hurt himself anymore.  Charlie is lucky to have such good friends!