Cheer Competition | Teen Ink

Cheer Competition

“My hands are already sweaty,” thinks Ayana as she walks through the arena doors. Today is her cheer competition. She goes to sign in, then goes with the rest of her team. Her mom walks over, looks at her in the eyes, and says “you got this, it's your time to shine. Go do your best and leave everything on the floor.” “I got this mom, thanks for the support though,” says Ayana. Ayana and the team go to the mat to go warm up.

Ayana is one out of three flyers. While warming up Ayana's older brother, Jordyn comes up to her before warming up and says “I've seen you practice before, you're amazing, just make sure to hit all your stunts and flips.” Ayana kindly thanks her brother and runs on to the mat with the rest of her team. Her coach starts the music and all of the girls get into their positions. Ayanas' teammate, Imani goes into her front walkover, and when she does that all of the girls go into the rest of their routine.

It's almost time for the flyers to get lifted. Imani is also a flyer. They all get lifted up but then one of the bases, Nia, hand slips. The third flyer, Kelsey, comes tumbling down and the whole stunt fails. The coach tells them to do it again because they only have the mat for five minutes longer. The five minutes go by quickly and before they know it it's time for the competition.  “The premier cheer team just finished and is coming off the mat,” Kelsey says. “And now coming out is Spirit Elite,” the host says into the microphone.  

All the girls run onto the mat and get positioned. The music beat drops and the girls are all flipping. It's time for the girls to get into their pyramids. Kelsey, Imani, and Ayana all get lifted up to hit their stunts. They stay there for about twenty-five seconds. All of the flyers go into a back handspring from the pyramid. They finish their routine and run off the mat. The crowd goes crazy!

The coach comes up and the team has a group hug. It's time for awards to be given out. All of the teams go down to the mat and sit down. “Third place goes to Infinity Elite. Says the host. The crowd cheers. “Second place goes to Premier Cheer.” says the host. The crowd cheers once again. The host gets ready to announce the first-place winner as the crowd goes quiet. “And now for our first place winner...SPIRIT ELITE!” The crowd roars!

Spirit Elite runs to get their award. Everyone cheers for them. Time goes by quickly and it's time to go home. The coach is very proud of her team. The team is proud of their effort and teamwork. The team huddles up and says a chant then goes separate ways.