The Unfair Loss | Teen Ink

The Unfair Loss

By cnjackson BRONZE, Winchester, California
cnjackson BRONZE, Winchester, California

Just when she thought she’d finished crying, the phone rang. She glanced at her phone screen and read the name. She was slightly confused at what they may need at this hour, but still tapped the answer button anyway.

“Hello? Dad?”

“Hi sweetie,” something seemed wrong already. 

“What’s up? Is everything alright?”

“I know it’s late, but I’m leaving. It’s not that I want to, but things just aren’t working out with me and your mom.”

“Huh? What do you mean? I’ll be back next week, we can all talk this out.”

“No, not this time. I’m sorry, really. Just remember, I love you with all my heart and always will.”

“Da- ”

He hung up. She stared at her phone in disbelief, what happened? It's only been 2 weeks. How could everything go so terribly wrong in such a short period of time. Once she came back to reality she attempted to call him again.

Ring! Ring! Voicemail. 

Ring! Ring! Voicemail. 

Ring! Ring! Voicemail. 

Nothing. As everything began to sink in, her vision became blurry. She reached her hand up to her face, wiping the small droplet of salty water from her eyes. No, why are you crying? everything ‘s fine. Stop it. Stop it. Stop it!  She repeatedly told herself.

Despite her efforts to believe everything was fine, it didn’t work.

She knew it was true. Sure, parents argue and maybe her parents argued a little more than others, but leaving? How? How could he leave her when he was the small beam of support that kept her going. She wanted to scream and yell at him, tell him he can’t leave. But she was far too weak and as much as she wanted, wanted, and wanted, she could never have it. Sometimes things don’t always fall into favor of even the best people, sometimes it may even turn against them. She knew the world was unfair, that life was unfair, but then again, she’s always done everything right. Or at least tried. So, why now? Why her? 

Some things can’t be helped, and she would soon learn that for herself. Until then, she’d curl up on the floor and cry. She’ll cry, cry, and cry, until her tears run dry. She’ll question and yearn for all that’s around her, because in the end, what more could she do?