Things can get better. | Teen Ink

Things can get better.

March 19, 2021
By Anonymous

Just when she thought she’d finished crying, the phone rang. Celine slowly walked toward it and saw that it was her mothers phone number. But she wasn’t in the mood to talk to her so she ignored the call. As she walked away, it rang again, and this time she decided to just let it keep ringing until it stopped. Then again it rang. Irritated, Celine picked up the phone and in a grumpy voice she said, “Hello?”

“Celine?” her mother’s breaking voice said.

“Mom, what’s wrong?” Celine said a little worried.

“Celine, I'm sorry, your grandma is gone.” She said sobbing.

Celine dropped to the floor, letting the phone slip through her fingers and fall to the ground. She couldn’t believe what she just heard. No one could describe what she felt nor what the expression on her face was. Her grandma was the closest person to her. She could tell her anything. Celine and her mother never had a close relationship. As a teen, Celine and her mother would argue a lot. Celine’s father was never around so her grandma was really the only person she could talk to about her feelings and everything that went on in her life.

Celine bursted with tears and asked herself, “Why me?” She stayed up almost all night trying to process what happened. A week after that, it was the day of her grandma’s funeral. Celine, her mother, other family and other close friends watched as they buried her. And Celine couldn’t help but let out a few tears. Weeks passed and Celine decided that she would go to visit her mother since she hasn’t seen her since the funeral. She drove to her house and knocked on the door. Her mother opened it and was a little shocked that Celine was there. 

“Why hello Celine.” her mother said

She gave her a warm hug and invited her inside. They talked and laughed about so many things.And the relationship with her mother started to improve. Next thing she knew, her mother was as close to her as her grandmother, and told her anything she wanted to. Celine was living a happy life with friends and her mother.


The author's comments:

This is my first uploaded work.