Immigration Unfairness | Teen Ink

Immigration Unfairness

March 19, 2021
By iklop BRONZE, Winchester, California
iklop BRONZE, Winchester, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Just when she thought she’d finished crying, the phone rang. She ignored the phone. She wanted to focus solely on herself. Then, the phone began to ring for the second time. She began to think it was something urgent. She picked up the phone and it was her aunt. Her aunt sounded very stuffy with her high-pitched voice cracking every second.

She questioned, “What’s wrong aunt?”


Her aunt sobbed, “Your father, Jiu is being deported back towards Seoul, South Korea.”


When her aunt said that, she felt a tightening of her throat and a short intake of oxygen. She had to put herself on mute. She didn’t want to worry her aunt. When she thought everything was going to be totally alright, it truly wasn’t. At the moment, she didn’t know how to react or how to make a movement. Suddenly, she thought of the reason why her father was being deported after being in the United States for 13 years.


She replied quickly, “Aunt, I need to leave. I need to contact myself with the immigation lawyer.”


Her aunt replied worriedly, “Alright, go ahead. I’ll check on you later on.”

“Alright, sounds great with me.”, she said with a stuffy voice.


She began to get ready to meet the immigration lawyer urgently. She wiped her tears and grabbed her jacket and car keys. She attempted to drive under control and obey the traffic laws in San Francisco. She arrived at the immigration plaza. Then, she began heading to the top floor where the immigration lawyer office was located at. Later on, she reached the immigration lawyer office and she heard the voice of the lawyer. It seemed the lawyer was on the phone with an official. She began to walk towards the lawyer. Until, she heard her talk about her father.“I’m glad that Jiu is finally getting deported out of the country, now it’s time to abolish Jiu’s family for once and for all.”, said the lawyer with a joyful expression.


She was completely pale white when she heard the lawyer say that. She quickly grabbed her phone out of her jacket and began to record the lawyer’s conversation.


“I didn’t get into immigration because I had a passion for being a lawyer. Throughout, this time I seeked revenge badly from the harm physiological damages Jiu caused to my sister. Now, his family will pay as well to the damages.”, the lawyer shouted.


She snapped at the lawyer, “So this was your point? To my father, Jiu? and Now, deporting my family who’s in the US?”

The lawyer turned around shockedly.


“It’s not my fault that everything returns backwards like a boomerang.”, the lawyer said.


“I love your quote. I’ll use it as my life motto.” She grabbed her phone.


“See this? I recorded your conversation with who you were talking to. As you said, everything comes backwards like a boomerang.”


The lawyer was upset and furious. She began to run in a fast past to inform the lawyer's boss over her illegal actions.