A Gift Gone Wrong | Teen Ink

A Gift Gone Wrong

By eespinoza BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana
eespinoza BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana

One Friday evening in Boston, a 15-year-old girl named Tasha White was walking home from her exhausting basketball game during Christmas time. She was tired from playing and was disappointed about her mediocre performance at the game. When she arrived home, to her dismay, she was greeted by a completely empty house. This was very odd because everyone in her family was usually home by then. She did not think much of it at first, so she took a shower, ate a snack, and watched Netflix to relax while she waited. After an hour or two passed, she started to worry about where her parents were. She thought, “ Well maybe they had a last-minute dilemma at work, or maybe they got into an altercation on the way home.” As her imagination started spiraling out of control, her parents’ black BMW pulled into the driveway, but instead of seeing her mom and dad emerge from the car, her old, sweet grandmother stepped out of the car. Grandma Carmen walked around the car, opened the trunk, and pulled out a huge box wrapped in gold Christmas-themed paper with Tasha’s name written on it. Since she had no idea Grandma Carmen would be in town, Tasha was utterly surprised to see her. Tasha rushed out into the chilly December weather to greet her grandmother. She welcomed her with open arms and kisses. Grandma Carmen was eager to give the early Christmas gift to Tasha, and Tasha was just as excited to receive it. Tasha, a very sport-loving and outdoor-loving person, tore open the gift to find a box filled with makeup products, nail polishes, and other girly items. Once Tasha opened the gift, it soon became clear that Tasha was upset about the gift, but she did not want to hurt her grandmother's feelings by telling her that she did not like the gift. Tasha pretended to be interested in the contents of the gift, but her grandmother knew that something was wrong. She asked, “Tasha, what is the matter?” Tasha was nervous to tell her grandmother the truth because she feared that her grandmother would admonish her for being ungrateful. Tasha kept trying to terminate the conversation to avoid causing a scene, but her grandmother insisted on knowing why Tasha did not love the gift. After going back and forth about the situation, Tasha decided to tell her grandmother what she was really feeling. She said, “ Well, I am not really into makeup and accessories anymore. It was very thoughtful of you to buy me this gift, but I am afraid that I will not be able to use it because I enjoy other activities like basketball.” Surprisingly, her grandmother understood and apologized for being inconsiderate of Tasha’s likes and interests when buying her Christmas gift. She then said, “I am so sorry Tasha. I really did not mean to make you upset. Tomorrow, we will go to the mall, and you can pick out anything you like!” Tasha was so excited to hear this. She thanked Grandma Carmen repeatedly and gave her many hugs. The next day, they drove to the mall, and Tasha picked out a brand new basketball to practice with. After leaving the mall, they returned home where Tasha’s parents greeted them with warm cups of hot chocolate.

I wrote the piece because it is something that I can relate to. Other teens and children can also relate to the main idea of this story.