Juan's American Vacation | Teen Ink

Juan's American Vacation

By MattHH23 BRONZE, North Bergen, New Jersey
MattHH23 BRONZE, North Bergen, New Jersey

Juan’s American Vacation

A gazelle is what Juan felt like as the wild lions that were ICE officers chased and hunted him down. The loud thud of them running are all Juan could hear for his time in America. Juan although being in America for a year now still was lower than pond scum. His clothes were more raggedy than a homeless man and he looked and stunk as if he had just come back from wrestling pigs. He had come from Venezuela leaving his family so that one day he could bring them to America. To keep him going he had a pocket watch with a picture of his family that he kept with him everywhere he went. This and his family back home were the only thing keeping him to 365 days a year, 7 days a week, and 24 hours a day breaking his back working and finding a way to be a ghost in a country that did not want him there although being labeled a melting pot of diversity. To Juan, it seemed as if this melting pot was only for those society deemed to fit into it and society did not see him fit for it.

On this one particular day, Juan thought nothing of it as it was like any other. He felt tired and broken from the screech and heaviness of the metal machines of the factory he worked at. Juan on this day had plans to meet a friend, Roger a bouncer at a local club, and also an illegal from a Latin country. They would play dominos and eat Hispanic food to bring back memories of their home. He walked up the stairs and heard the greeting of his fellow neighbors, Mrs. Doubtfire, who was the sweetest old and always made Juan cookies, the next-door neighbor Riely who had three kids he would sometimes babysit, and George the surgeon who would give Juan free checkups. As he walked into his small, noisy, crappy apartment he looked around at what his home was. Juan desperately wanted to go back to Venezuela but although he worked every day here he still loved America and all the stuff he had here. Sitting down, Juan readied himself for a long and well-deserved nap before Roger would come, however, there was a loud and threatening thud at the door.

“This is the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You are under arrest for illegally entering this country” A random officer yelled as they barged into the small and cramped hole of an apartment that Juan called home.

“Mierda Ellos me encontraron. Crap they found me. Yo necesito irme. I need to go.” Juan cursed in Spanish as he delicately weighed his options.

“If you do not peacefully give yourself up we will have to forcibly detain you.” The Ice officers foreboding warning as they come closer and closer to Juan.

As Juan racked his brain for what to do he thought back to what truly inspired him, his family. Juan stared warmly at the four people who he loved more than two characters in a romance movie. His wife Lucia, his two daughters Margarita and Nancy, and his son Carlos. The last day he ever saw his family stayed in his brain like an annoying roommate who won’t move out. It was right before he left to cross the border into Colombia.

“Lucia yo te amo, y si no te veo sabes que te amo. I love you Lucy and if I don’t see you know I love you. Carlos tu eres el hombre de la casa. Take care of your mother and sisters Carlos for when I’m not here. Margarita y Nancy Margarita y Nancy se cuidan y si alguna vez necesitas ayuda, ve con tu hermano ahora. Margarita and Nancy take care of yourself and if you ever need help go to your brother now. Necesito irme ahora, los amo a todos. I need to go now I love you all.” Juan sadly leaving his family.

“Papa, Papa no te vas. Como vamos a vivir solo. Te amo. Dad, dad don’t go. How are we gonna live alone. We love you.” Juan’s three sons yelled as he crossed into Colombia.

Juan was a man who loved his family who would jump the tallest skyscraper, take a bullet, and catch a grenade for them. He could not turn himself in to the authorities because that would mean certain doom for him and his family. Just as he was thinking the thuds and crack of the floor as the officers moved came to stop as they spotted the imposter.

“Get on the damn ground you damn Mexican! We got you and not sorry but your gonna have to go back to that sh*thole you call home and stop bringing drugs into our country.” The ICE commanding officer yelled as he pointed his gun at Juan. Sending his desperation for an escape to the moon.

“I’m sorry officer but I can't do that. Adiós y vete a la mierda. Goodbye and go to hell,” Juan triumphantly spoke as he jumped out the three-story window of his crappy apartment.

Although being able to escape successfully Juan knew that deep down he would still be screwed as the fall deeply injured him and the police would be back on his tail not stopping until every single person like Juan was gone from the country.

“Go down and I want all of you to search for this damn Mexican!” The commanding officer loudly and angrily yelled at his subordinates.

“Sir I think he’s Venezuelan.” An officer shot back.

“Same damn thing! Now split up and find him.” The commanding officer even more angrily yelled as it seemed as if the giant and angry blood vessels were about to pop on his head.

“Ay cabron. Now where in the hell could I go. I have nothing, nowhere, no money, and no family.” Juan nervously thought to himself as he ran through the city.

A gazelle is what Juan felt like as the wild lions that were ICE officers chased and hunted him down. He was now back to where he started when he first came to America, broken, alone, and on the run. However, from his little American vacation he had made friends, lived in a warm home, and had a hard life, but rewarding life. Just as he was thinking the cracks and booms of their feet came closer and closer and so he needed to find a place to hide out in. Luckily Juan remembered where Roger worked as a bouncer.

“Roger, Roger I need your help now. They found me hermano. I’m so screwed if they find me now. Can you just let me in and I can hide out.” Juan leaded with his situation.

“Don’t worry man come on in and after this whole thing is over you can come and stay with me until you get back on your feet.” Roger empahticly helped Juan.

“Thank you so much Roger and I will find a way to pay you back whenever I can for what you have done for me.”

“Welcome to Club Puzzles and I hope you enjoy your time tonight and there is a back door that you could go through. I’ll see you later and good luck.” Roger welcomed Juan as the ICE officers marched on closer and Juan entered the club.

“Was there any man who was running in this direction and looked of Mexican or Hispanic descent, sir?” The ICE officer asked.

“No sir there was no man that matched your description but I do think I saw someone who matched it going all the way up there far away. If you start running now you might be able to catch him. Go run go!” Roger hurried the officer to lead him off.

He was safe from the authority of ICE for now but he knew deep down that they would be back. Juan’s life was like a circle, he would work and work until someone tipped ICE about Juan, and then they found him and chased him. He knew that it would happen again but he also knew that he would be just fine because he had something that those officers did not, the determination of family.

Juan after being able to successfully evade the officers was now living with Roger and he was now almost ready to bring his family to America. He finally had enough money and he could see his dreams materializing right in front of him. To note of his experiences he sent a letter to his family of the good news.

“Para mi familia. For my family. Si encuentra este mensaje quiero que todos sepan que los amo mucho. If you find this message I want you all to know I love you all so much. Pronto tendré suficiente dinero para traerlos a todos a América. Soon I will have enough money to bring you all to America. Los amo a todos y adiós hasta que los vuelva a ver a todos. I love you all and goodbye ultil I see you all again.” Juan wrote down in letter to his dearly beloved family as he sadly knew that his journey would still require much more work.

I am a sixteen-year-old Sophomore from North Bergen, New Jersey. I go to a boarding school called Western Reserve Academy in Hudson, Ohio. I wrote this piece because I am Hispanic and I wanted to write something that showed the brutal immigration system in our country today.