Baptized | Teen Ink

Baptized

By SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont
SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

It Will Be Good.

The plunge into the water was the hardest part. The explosion of frigid salt water against my skin. The commitment I knew I was making, the promise I had to now keep. The responsibility weighed heavy on my frail human shoulders, shaking in the cold the air pressing my lungs, begging to be released, demanding that I inhale a breath of death, of the frozen salt lake. My wet hair flew around my face, over my tightly shut eyes, in the power of the promise this water meant. A strong arm grasped my hand and pulled me up, reborn into a new life, a life where I had to uphold so much, greater than me, and represent at all times, and in all things, and in all places. I wasn't sure I was ready. I had a split second, and in it, I wanted to resist, to remain unburdened. Without the responsibility and the wonderful blessings that came with it. I didn't deserve the gifts of this covenant. But I didn't resist. I let the arm pull me up into a new world, brighter, deeper. I shuddered in the cold, and brushed the dripping, heavy strands of hair off my face, heavy with my new responsibility. I wiped the stinging salt out of my eyes and took the offered towel. I shook in the face of the promise I felt myself unable to make, but even still my soul leapt in me and I couldn't stop the broad grin crossing my face, embracing the new meaning to my life. I wasn't afraid anymore.

i just got so inspired by for king and countrys amen i needed to write something. so i wrote about baptism. that's not how i felt at all when i was baptized i was 8 and had no clue what was happening, i was just excited because i finally got to be baptized. i totally made that up with how baptism works. i didn't even know what responsibility was when i was 8.

on Apr. 19 at 8:02 pm
SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

It Will Be Good.

thanks, again. i wrote a historical fiction for you, it has yet to go thru

on Apr. 19 at 7:48 pm
Lydiaq PLATINUM, Somonauk, Illinois

Normal people don't know what they're missing.

This is beautiful.