Burning Red Beauty | Teen Ink

Burning Red Beauty

By em152831 BRONZE, Hemet, California
em152831 BRONZE, Hemet, California

Fire. In everyone's life, at some time, we discover our inner fire. At first, it's a small match, just shining lightly inside, quietly as time goes by. But then, just by chance, may go out in a quick second then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. Engulfing you in it’s burning blanket of red. No longer a match but a wildfire with an unstoppable force. 

Maybe it happens often for you, or maybe just once. It may confuse you at first...how it moves so wonderfully, so free. However, fire can also burn you. It can be destructive. I truly believe is the most beautiful weapon of them all. It shines with all its glory; maybe that's why I'm so attracted to it. Maybe that's why it seems to control what I do and say around you. It’s warmth along with the welcoming feeling it gives you but if approached wrong it snarls and bites. Everything you love could be gone in minutes, due to a single pinch. This happens because others may see your fire as it was before, a match, while you see it as something extremely important to you. Something as bright as the sun and as precious as the Hope Diamond. That's why what you have given me, is so amazing. You are the fuel for my fire. So warm, so beautiful, so welcoming. 

At first, you seemed so far, but then as if you held out a hand for me, you were just a step away. So I tried. I shouldn’t have done that. I shouldn’t have told you. I was so used to the warmth of the fire you awakened inside me that I had taken it for granted. I had forgotten how painful it was. How painful being alone was. 

I had made you turn around. To look at me with your eyes that look oh so lovely. With your smile that made me smile back. But like an idiot who was blinded by the fire, I was burned out. As if you sucked the oxygen from me. My fire struggling to stay alive. I couldn’t breathe. I choked on my words, not knowing what to say to you. 

After you turned around again, it seemed that’s what I would have to look at now. Every time I would glance at you, it seems I’m always looked at you from behind. Like I’m not there anymore to you. I can breathe now. Not perfectly, but enough to keep my fire alive. It’s painful though because it reminds me of you and the mistake I made. The mistake of telling you. 

Instead of the warm and welcoming embrace, I felt from inside before, it’s now a hot suffocating mess. It sometimes got too bright and I felt like you may have seen it. I tried my best to keep it low, I know if I kept looking at you the way I did I would get burned out again. Or maybe I would overheat. So I tried to bury it down and get it back to my little match. But I couldn’t help it. Once you get a taste of the beautiful fire and the feelings that come along with it, it’s impossible not to crave it. But slowly its scorches me, and even with all these burns, I can’t help but still look at you in that special way.

I want to become an author after I retire. It seems weird to bring up even if I'm a sophomore in high school, but I've always had a passion for writing and expressing my emotions. Sometimes I can't exactly express myself out loud. But with a pencil and some paper, I can show so much.