Friday Nights | Teen Ink

Friday Nights

By busywithpiano BRONZE, Cupertino, California
busywithpiano BRONZE, Cupertino, California

It’s Friday night, and she should be out with her friends. It’s Friday night, and everyone else is socializing, everyone else is having fun, but she is pathetic and alone. It’s Friday night, and she scrolls through social media absentmindedly, clicking on video after video, cracking small smiles at cute montages, and feeling temporary bursts of happiness that are mere distractions from the pain within. 

It’s Friday night, and she wishes she had someone to talk to. It’s Friday night, and she stares at a black screen. It’s Friday night, and she buries herself under the covers, wishing everything was over. 

A week passes, and it’s Friday night again.    

In this piece the main technique I tried to work on was using repetition to show loneliness and how damaging it can be, as well as the feeling that it will never end. Friday nights are usually known for nights out, having fun, and living life to the fullest, but this piece is ironic in the way that this is the exact opposite of what you’d expect a Friday night to look like. What I like about this piece is that it portrays true feelings based on real experience.