Fear | Teen Ink

Fear

It was almost pitch black outside. The wind blew hard against her face, making her whole body shiver. She could only make out a dark figure of a bare tree in the distance, everything around her was covered in snow. A wolf howled miles away. She couldn’t remember where she was. She called out in a trembling voice, straining to hear any response. Silence. A drop of water suddenly landed on the edge of her coat. She glanced up, and a million specks of flakes and raindrops fell on her face. Stranded alone in the middle of the forest, frozen and petrified in the dead of night, she collapsed onto the ground, fear not letting her go. 

She woke up with a start. She was in a warm, familiar place. Scanning her surroundings, she sighed a big sigh of relief. Could dreams be so frightening?

In this set piece, I focus on description and imagery of the setting and the character’s thoughts, and try to engage the audience with a solid image of what’s happening. I like this piece because it shows a dramatic scene, with a little surprise at the end.