Le Don de la Vie | Teen Ink

Le Don de la Vie

July 28, 2019
By Anonymous

“Swoosh!” A gust of wind blows, shaking a tree branch as leaves of many colors float down onto the chairs and tables. The cafe was a common place to find Brooke and Quincy sipping their afternoon tea; a usual afternoon. Brooke would be turning ten soon and she was looking for something out of the ordinary to do. Now that they had talked it over a decision was made. 

“ Beep, Beep, Beep!” The nurse rushed in only to find the small girls asleep in peace, but the frantic nurse awakened the two and starts to ask the following questions, “ What is your name? When is your birthday? Where are you? Who is here with you?” All of the machines seem to be hooked to her at the same time. Only a tear could Ava shed as she watched her best friend, Emily, suffer. Just as the girls began to settle down the doctor swiftly entered the room with results. Ava hesitantly followed him out into the hallway only to be told that cancer had invaded Emily. Her time was limited and she was to be back in three weeks. So Ava decided a last-minute excursion was in order. 

The day to a wondrous journey is approaching in a jiffy. Details and tours are starting to book for the day. Overjoyed girls equipped themselves for the journey of a lifetime around France. 

Slowly-paced Ava joined Emily back inside the room. A tear had blurred her vision as she had regretfully shared the downcasting news followed by an idea of a last minute, final trip around France. Emily gave a glum sort-of-smile considering that she had been diagnosed with cancer. “Tomorrow,” Ava said, “I’ll be back with the luggage. I’ll be ready to go.” In agreement, Emily nodded. As the sun rose Ava sluggishly but surely appeared at the hospital room with loads of luggage ready for the trip. “Here,” she said, “I bought this for you to write about all the days of our trip, so you will remember them always. You can always look at it on your worst days and remember the good times we had together. And remember me.” Soft heartedly, Emily thanked Ava for the journal and they set out for the trip.

All of the girls Brooke had invited, all six, most certainly appeared on the day of departure. Their joy and excitement were uncontainable as the van rolled cautiously out of the driveway. The adventure had surely begun. 

“ Dear Diary, 

Today is day 1 of the end of my life. I have my sorrowful moments, but Ava keeps me stoked for our voyage across France. Our first stop tomorrow is in Paris at the Arc de Triomphe. I can’t wait to get there due to the fact that we have been driving for the past four hours. It will definitely be awesome and I can’t wait to tell you more. 

With all my heart,

Emily”

The whole way to the hotel Brooke runs her mouth about all the sights and places we pass along the way telling interesting facts about each and every one. Brooke has a very difficult time shutting up about things that overflow her emotional cup. Whether it be good or bad, happy or sad, angering or exiting. They all learned this quite fast. 

“Dear diary, 

Today was day 2 of Trip de Paris. Having cancer is hard both physically and emotionally. Lucky for me I have Ava who keeps me going. We arrived at the Arc de Triomphe today. The sight was breathtaking. I really enjoyed seeing the intricate features and the eye-catching details drew me in for sure. I’m sure tomorrow will be another long day of driving, but now I see the worth in the long car rides. Tomorrow we only have a small way to go. My excitement is boiling. 

With all that’s left,

Emily”

Still talking, Brooke explains all the places they will visit on their journey. It is totally noticeable that Brooke loves two things: talking and studying the past. All the joy within the girls keeps them entertained for the long ride. All the girls discuss what they are most excited about seeing. 

After some time on the trip, about a week and a half, Emily feels better about her condition. Some time passed and later that day she starts to notice that all of her diary entries have become Ava’s inspiration for art. Ava has carefully explored both the landmark and Emily’s writing. Suddenly Emily feels an urge to write in the journal. Looking left and right, up and down, and everywhere around her. The notebook is gone! Emily hollers out to Ava. Abruptly Ava appears by Emily’s side. Her explanation of what had happened slightly shocked Ava. With a calming tone, Ava assured Emily that it would be okay and that they will find it soon. 

Now that the girls had arrived at the Louvre, they had settled themselves quite a bit. This was Brooke’s favorite part of the trip, since it was a museum, due to her love of history. Later that week the girls would be in the presence of the Eiffel Tower. At the news, the young girls let out a shriek of excitement. This made the glee level within them rise. 

Soon Emily had made the conclusion that it was left at one of the landmarks, but it was time for Emily to the hospital for fear that she had taken on a new illness. She knew she was never going to see the journal again. So back they traveled to Nice, France for immediate care. 

As the girls raced up the stairs to the tippy-top of the tower, Quincy, through the corner of her eye, saw something flapping in the wind. She picked it up and carried it with her to the top. Everyone quickly crowded around her to see the new discovery. Just as a huge gust of wind blew, the pages flew in every direction, but there was no time to stop and pick them up for the Eiffel tower was closing. One of the girls noticed that the pages looked as if they were tea stained from old age and time spent on the ground being stepped on and covered by dirt. 

Emily and Ava arrived back in Nice at the hospital. According to the results provided by the doctors, Emily only had a few more days to live. At this tears sprang to their eyes. Every day and every night Emily could count on little Ava to be there with her. Day and night Ava stayed awaken waiting to help Emily out and paced back and forth praying that maybe Emily would wake up in the morning. When that Thursday morning came, no matter how many times she called out to Emily or shook her, Emily was breathless, motionless, and never coming back. Her end had come. 

 Just as the girls reached the hotel Brooke, of course, went straight to the library to see all that she could see about the journal. Closely she examined every little marking found on the notebook. Studying hard, she found that someone named Emily Smith and Ava Johnson had traveled the exact same route about thirty-five year before Brooke and her friends. Maybe a new adventure was in order. Their journey had just been extended about a week or so. 

Ava wept for the rest of the week after Emily had gone. For a while Ava just sat in her grief, leaving art, exploration, and joy aside. Mr. and Mrs. Smith decided to take Emily to a nearby church for a funeral then bury her in the backyard as a symbol that she was still with them in their hearts. Ten may have been a young age to go, but at least her suffering was minimized. Brooke shared her findings with her friends. As they all listened with suspense, they longed to find out who Emily and Ava were. They all wondered what had happened to the girls considering the writings had just ceased on day thirty-four of Trip de Paris; no sign of anything that lead to death in the journalling. This kept the girls in loads of mystery.

Back at the Smith residence, Mr. and Mrs. Smith along with Ava buried little Emily, covering the hole with a hand-carved stone that Ava had made. She wanted to put the notebook down beside the stone, but still, there was no sign of the book. As a best friend, Ava made it her duty to find the journal no matter the cost. 

After lots of research and questions, the group found that Ava was still alive and that she lived in Nice, France. That was only thirty minutes or so from where the girls lived! A definite extension to the birthday bubbled their spirits. So they set out to Nice in search of this Ava Johnson. All of them were barely on their seats as the van crossed into Nice. Soon enough they sprung up as high as the heavens as the vehicle reached a complete stop in front of a large, red-bricked, two-story home with an address that read 5501 Rosenbush Ln. “Blam, blam, blam!” They knocked on the door. 

Ava wondered when this pain and grief would end, but as far as she knew and felt it was everlasting. She hoped she would find the journal. Now, more than ever Ava felt hopeless and alone; it had gotten almost unbearable for her. Unsure of what to do, she trembled in fear. Was it somehow the end for her too?
A brunette little girl answered the door. As she pulled it open she hollered, “Mommy, it's for you!” Moments later a lady came to the door, with a hint of confusion in her eye said responded with a, “Hello, can I help you?” A girl who answered to the name Gwen told her that they had been on a journey and they stumbled upon a notebook lying in the rubble. They had found the names Emily and Ava in it and were wondering if this was the residence of Ava. The woman kindly invited them in for a further conversation. Hearts were more full now with happiness. Ava responded with a yes it was her, Ava Johnson, and that she had been searching for the journal. Questions were answered left and right by both Ava and the group of girls. Legends were right, Ava and Emily had traveled the same path as the girls. A streak of sorrow flowed over the girls as the news was told that Emily had passed the year of their trip due to cancer; it was that no one was to find out that was the catch though. 

As Ava told the girls and tears trickled down her face, she finally realized that there was so much more to life than just the unfortunate turn of events; life really did offer good just as she had hoped. The girls made a covenant to never tell a soul the adventure of ava and Emily for fear that they would bring back such painful memories. With this agreement in their hearts, they set out on the voyage home. 

Quincy and Brooke kept a copy of the journal that Ava had made for them as a treasure and thanks for finding it. They took great care of it and never let it leave one of the two of their presence. School was tomorrow, and the girls decided to take it with them. Was this such a bright idea after all?

Even Ava remained loyal to the promise she had made, so she placed the notebook by Emily’s grave. She too gave it special treatment. By placing it in a clear plastic box she knew it would be safe from even the harshest wind and the wettest mud. No animal, weather, or human could ever harm the book. After this, Ava had a good feeling in her stomach knowing she had done someone good. 

At school the next day, Quincy noticed a strange, unwanted feeling in her gut. Then in class, as she reached for a paper, she realized that the journal was missing. Fear took over; she felt as if she had become unloyal and unworthy. Hard as it was to know herself, she had to tell Brooke as well. The news made Brooke sick. How could they have lost something this valuable? Later that day as the two walked to lunch, they spotted the journal in the hands of the wrong authority. Brooke suddenly got sick again. “Ring, ring!” Now a sick feeling had taken over Quincy as she received an undesired call. 

“Hello,” answered the voice. “Hi,” said Ava, “this is Ava Johnson. I was calling to check on you and your friends. How is it going with the journal?” After a long pause of decision, the conversation continued. Hesitantly so did the thoughts about the journal. 

The girl’s name was Rylee. If you could help it, you didn't mess with her…...ever. Quincy and Brooke had to find a way to get the journal back before it was too late. Maybe they had spoken too soon when Quincy said that nothing bad would happen before they got it back. Because whether they wanted to see it or not Rylee had the book wide open reading every entry aloud to a crowd of people hungry for gossip as they listened intently. Their procrastination of retrieving the journal created even more of a terrible consequence. 

Soon Ava would walk into a store and hear many people chattering about the girls who traveled to France because one was about to die. At the vivid memories, her grief recovered itself and quickly angered her. Her solution, maybe not the best, was to call Quincy and Brooke and demand to know the facts for herself. 

When the girls got the confidence to go up to Rylee, the phone rang… it was Ava. Her voice was consumed by a raised, voice that was not the Ava they knew. All that came through were sobbing screams muffled though the other end. Brooke and Quincy were quick to explain, but Ava made it very clear that if she heard one more rumor… just one, she would get the notebook back herself. 

Rapidly, Quincy and Brooke approached Rylee and her squad. They tried kindness, raised voices and even to the extreme of using a friend and teacher, but all plans failed. Resorting to last options, Brooke ran to get help from the principle and Rylee’s parents who instructed her to give the journal back immediately and follow them, or else. After that Ava was contacted. 

Ava felt a tingle of relief run from her head to the tips of her toes. With a glad heart, she thanked the girls for retrieving the notebook and made them take another oath saying that they would no longer take it to school and never EVER let it happen again. 

Shocked at the reaction Ava had shown the girls gladly took the oath because they figured that they could do their part if she could do hers. Then took a deep sigh of relief from holding their breath as they called Ava waiting for a harsh reaction. From that day on the girls watched the book like a hawk watches its prey. No eye left that book unless another joined in. Hoping that it would stay right where it belonged as long as it belonged there.


The author's comments:

While this piece is a fictional piece, the storyline is very near to my heart. The title of this article, Le Don de la Vie, means "the gift of life" in Frech, and I chose this title because I know that we take it for granted a lot of time. Writing this story made me realize that!