Laughing Tears | Teen Ink

Laughing Tears

By jillwallner BRONZE, Ashburn, Virginia
jillwallner BRONZE, Ashburn, Virginia

Sophie Blake’s workday started off the same as every one before that, at 11 am. She woke up nestled among countless food wrappers with a pain in her jaw. “Jeez.” She whispered after seeing that she had spilled diet coke all over herself, again. As a funeral clown Sophie’s job was grim with a sickening twist of joy. She was supposed to make kids happy, take their minds off of the fact that they had just lost a loved one. It rarely worked. The wrappers crunched as Sophie sat up, making her way to her bathroom.

An hour later Sophie sat in the back of an outdated reception room dressed in tones of grey, her ridiculous outfit complete with a polka-dotted bow tie. Solemn faces milled about as Sophie attempted to make some kids laugh. “What’s your name?” She asked a red-eyed boy. The boy sniffed, “Joseph” he said, brushing away a pear-shaped tear. “Well Joseph, would you like a balloon animal?” Sophie smiled at Joseph and he nodded. The black balloon squeaked as Sophie twisted it until she held a balloon dog in her hand. “Isn’t he cute?” Sophie held the balloon out to Joseph and a moment passed. He stared at the dog for a few more seconds before bursting into tears. Sophie panicked, “Wh-what’s wrong?” Joseph kept sobbing. “Do you want another one?” Sophie asked but he kept crying and was now hiccuping. Sophie groaned, “This is the third time this week.” she thought, looking around frantically. Finally, a woman dressed in a black sweater dress came and picked Joseph up, slinging him over her back and carrying him away. When Sophie looked back to the balloon in her hands she realized it had deflated and was now just a limp string of rubber.

When writing this I wanted to be as relaxed and easygoing as possible. I didn't want to be super critical of myself and overall just wanted to have fun, I think I accomplished that.