Girl Scout Cookies | Teen Ink

Girl Scout Cookies

By Keepondreaming5 SILVER, New City, New York
Keepondreaming5 SILVER, New City, New York

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. -Walt Disney

“Go away,” grumbled the aging man. His hair had began to turn gray as time had passed since Evelyn passed away. The petite, stubborn girl said, “No, I will not go away. I am apart of the Sunflower Girl Scout Troop for seven years of my life and I will not fail to make a sale. Not once and not ever!” Her high pitched screech made him want to cover his ears and hide away from the little banshee. He pleaded with her to go away, “I don’t want and I don’t need any cookies right now. Goodbye!” Her hazel eyes narrowed with determination, “Sir, I have Tagalongs, Samoas, Do-si-dos, and Thin Mints.” His ears perked up to hear the name of Evelyn's favorite cookie. He hadn’t eat one since she shoved one in his face on their first date at Simon’s Diner. The little girl noticed his slight change in demeanor, “I have two boxes left mister. If you want them they’re yours.” A obnoxiously loud bright mustard colored school bus whizzed by barely two wheels in contact with the ground as it turned the corner. “Oh butter biscuits,” she muttered, “That’s my bus! I’ll pick up the money you owe me when I get home!” She sprinted away her feet pitter pattering the hard charcoal asphalt. She looked back over her shoulder and yelled “Have a good day Sir!” She caught the bus and then she began to lecture the bus driver about driving recklessly, nevermind the fact he almost left her without a ride in the dust. The old man sighed as he closed the door, underneath his breath he muttered, “crazy kid”. He softly chuckled and began to reminiscent of the time Evelyn and him had those great moments where the world would fade away and all they could do was crack up. He looked around at his apartment where newspapers were spread out across the floor and a canvas lay facing up drying from the oil paint he had laid down earlier that day. He began to hum a tune he had once forgotten as he picked up a few insurance bills lying on the floor. Underneath the papers laid a blue clip for potato chips and pretzels which he would occasionally snack on. Tangled in the clip was the delicate chain of a locket and he gazed at it with admiration. If Evelyn could seem him now she would be grinning, the treasure of companionship would soon fill his soul.