New Start, New Beginning | Teen Ink

New Start, New Beginning

By yvng.maria SILVER, Sacramento, California
yvng.maria SILVER, Sacramento, California

''live life to the fullest because you never know your its gonna end''

Bang! Bang! Bang! Three people were shot right there instantly. All you could hear is people screaming and running in terror. Not knowing where to go, trying to survive not knowing where their destination is or where it was safe for them to go. Fabian and his cousin Giovanni run to his house scared wanting to do something, to stop all of this but they couldn’t because they were already in danger. Fabian’s other cousin Isac was in the druglord game he wanted to get out of the game but it was to late and not only was he at risk but his family was too. “I don’t know what to do no more, one of these days they're gonna kill us, it’s not safe” Fabian said. “I know but what can we do or where could we go this place (Puerto Rico) isn’t safe for anyone” Giovanni responded . “Unless we go to the other side.. I know a coyote that could help us cross not for a lot of money” Fabian proposed. “I don’t know… I dont wanna leave my family behind or my country…”. “Yeah I understand I don’t either but we aren’t safe here and i’m sure our family would prefer us crossing trying to find new opportunities and start a better life than being here endangered” Fabian replied. “Yeah.. your right when are we leaving”. “Tonight” Fabian stated.

11:30 pm Giovanni saw his cousin talking to a fat man at a bar he was analyzing him up and down and said to himself this dude better not be the coyote it looks like he can’t even walk a damn mile how in the world is he going to be able to cross us over, Fabian must be out of his damn mind. “This is Lalo the coyote the one I was talking to you about and that’s gonna cross us to El Norte”, Fabian said. “Hello Gio, your cousin told me a little about you, nice to meet you” Lalo said. “Nice to meet you too..could you give me a moment with my cousin”, he hesitated. “Yeah of course”,Lalo said. “Are you out of your mind this guy looks like he can’t even walk how is he supposed to cross us over”,Giovanni said in an angry disappointed tone. But before Fabian could even respond, “Sorry young man i overheard you” Lalo said interrupting them and dont worry im not gonna walk you guy i'm gonna give you guys a phone and guide you through there. Ima tell you where to go, when and where to hide and give you both instructions on what to do. I'm gonna be spying on you and when you guys are almost there I'll be observing you two from my truck telling you what to do. Now, when you guys cross ima be waiting for you guys in my truck to pick you guys up, So is that understood?” Lalo said in a molested and stricked voice. “Yes yes of course i’m sorry about my cousin he just nervous and doesn’t wanna leave everything behind, right Gio? he said bumping his shoulder in a way for him to agree. “Yes that’s right Fabian and i’m really sorry that won’t happen again” “I hope not” Lalo said. “So what time are we leaving?” “At 12:30 a.m. i’ll meet you guys in the here outside of the bar and I expect my $10,000 pesos” “Yes of course don’t worry” Fabian responded “See you then”. “How are we gonna get that money I just have $3,500 pesos” Gio said. “Don’t worry cousin i been saving and I have $7,000 plus yours we should be good with $500 left incase we need them for food or anything arriving to El Norte”. “Okay sounds good now let’s go get our stuff ready and i’ll meet you at your house when i’m done so we could both go and meet Lalo at the bar” “Okay, sounds good”.

Outside the bar at their meeting spot. “Okay it’s time to go y'all ready?” “Yes let’s do this” they both said. They got on the van and started moving toward La Frontera. When they were 10 miles away Lalo said, “This is where it all starts, here’s a phone I need you guys to leave them in vibration because if La Migra is close by they’re gonna hear and you guys are done, from here on now we are going to communicate through this phone ima be telling you guys where to go, when and where to hide and giving you guys instructions, ima be observing everything from here, is that understood?” “Yes” they both agreed and off they went.

Walking for hours and hours the sun was about to raise so it started to get hotter and hotter. It felt like days of walking. No food and barely any water left just listening to the guide’s instructions through the phone. They barely got any rest or sleep. Along the way they saw dead bodies just laying on the ground of people who didn’t accomplish making it to the other side. They were so close to getting to the other side that it was harder for them to hide. The coyote was calling more often so that they didn’t get caught and he would say, “Hide inside of that log and don’t come out until I tell you guys too and when I send the signal you guys are gonna run as fast as you can for about a mile till you get to those huge rocks to the right”. They were both exhausted but they would do the best they can to not go back to Puerto Rico because they knew that it wasn’t safe and they prefer risking their lives for a while in La Frontera and then start a new life with better opportunities than risk their whole lives in Puerto Rico.Two hours pass when the Migra caught someone and Lalo immediately told Fabian and Gio to run, run, run and don’t stop. They knew they crossed because two miles from there there was a gas station and they knew that was the city already. Lalo told them to meet him at the gas station and they did. When they got there Lalo said, “Y'all did it welcome to Los Angele, California”. They both looked around and far far away from there they could see big, tall buildings as they drived pass. Gio and Fabian looked at each other and smiled at one another then whispered, “We did it”.

That day fabian took them with some people he knew that would have jobs for them. He really wanted to help them out because Lalo himself knew how hard it was to live in Puerto Rico and even more if their cousin was a drug lord. Their lives were in danger out there and when Fabian told him they wanted to cross he really wanted to do his best to help them out and now it was a new start for them, a new beginning.