Pleasant Rain | Teen Ink

Pleasant Rain

January 7, 2019
By Bruvton DIAMOND, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Bruvton DIAMOND, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
55 articles 2 photos 32 comments

Favorite Quote:
"They don't think it is what it does, but it do." ~Oscar Gamble


"Come outside!" she said over the phone. "It's so nice out here!"

I listened to the raindrops fall on my roof. "You know," I responded, "there's something about being cold and wet that doesn't quite appeal to me."

I heard her sigh over the phone. "Oh, come on! Don't be such a pessimist! It hardly ever rains any more!"

"I don't even go outside when the weather is nice," I said. "Do you really think I would go outside on a day like this?"

"Oh, come on!" she said. "I thought it was your new year's resolution to go outside more!"

I took that into consideration. "Okay, fine. I'll go." I hung up the phone, cutting off her squeals of excitement and headed toward the door.

I took a deep breath, opened the door, and ran outside.

I was drenched in a matter of seconds, the foul-smelling rain devouring my outer layer of skin. I felt as though I was on fire. I ran back to the door but watched it slam seconds before I arrived. I frantically tried to open it, but it was locked. I looked through the window and saw her evil, smiling face staring right back at me. I screamed, hitting the window. Pathetic smears of blood blurred her face. I took a step back but fell to the ground, landing in a puddle. Acidic rain leaked into my eyes, blinding me as my skin burned, boiled, and corroded. It felt like years of writhing in all-consuming pain before I finally fell into the deep slumber of death.


The author's comments:

A throwback to my old style.