The Perfect Present | Teen Ink

The Perfect Present

Boom! The airplane lands on the hard ground. I make my way off the crowded plane, and everyone stares at me as I sprint to the baggage claim area. It is Christmas Eve, and I have no time to waste. I try to flag down a cab when I hear someone screaming, “ Nicole Morgan!” I turn to see my friend, Alison, from college. I just put my bag down and have a quick conversation. Then, I get into the cab and I tell the cab driver that we have to hurry because I have to get the decorations set up for Christmas tomorrow, and my family’s presents are in my suitcase. The cab driver is very understanding, and he is taking the quickest route possible. I hop out of the cab and run to my front door struggling to find my keys. Suddenly, my husband opens the door. “ Daniel, what are you doing here?” I exclaimed. He tells me that he got off of work early ,but the house is not nearly ready for Christmas, so I tell him to go to the grocery. Finally, I am home alone and I quickly unzip the bag to reveal the perfectly wrapped presents. I pull out some old camping gear from the suitcase. Now, I realize the huge  dilemma I have. This is not my bag, and I have to go back to the airport soon or we will have no presents. Rushing to the airport, I go to the service desk and the line is horrid because the mediocre service woman is slow. Ugh! I do not have time to wait ,so I cut the line and the woman at the service desk admonishes me. I have to walk all the way back to the end of the line. It is finally my turn and I am furious; the lady and I have an altercation about the luggage, and she  puts me on a list and tells me that my name will be terminated from the list if I scold at her again. The irate lady behind me gives me a stare as I find an open seat. During my wait, I see Alison again, and she told me that she has the wrong luggage. My eyes are drawn to her bright red bag just like mine, and I see the coffee satin on her back looks like my suitcase. I open her suitcase and all the presents lay there intact. We switch bags, and I hurry home. My husband and kids are still not back, so I put all of the presents out with some extra decorations. Just in time, my family comes home, goes to sleep, and wakes up with a pleasant surprise on Christmas Day.