The Crash | Teen Ink

The Crash

October 4, 2018
By smscher10 SILVER, Boca Raton, Florida
smscher10 SILVER, Boca Raton, Florida
5 articles 3 photos 0 comments

I was just driving in my little blue car, having the music blaring while I was about to turn onto a major road. I have had my driver’s license for almost a year and so, driving comes pretty naturally and I do all of the motions sometimes almost without having to think about it. It just comes naturally. I was waiting to turn, and started to do so, when suddenly, I heard a loud “BANG!” right in front of my car.


I immediately started to panic. I was gasping for air. What did I hit? There was nobody next to me! I checked! Oh no! Oh no! Oh no! I could not stop panicking. I am too young to go to jail! I am only seventeen! I cannot go to jail now! I have my whole life ahead of me! No matter how hard I tried, I could not stop all of these thoughts from entering my brain, causing me to panic even more.


I finally got the courage to get out of the car and I could not believe what I saw. There was a woman, around the age of forty I assume, lying on the road right in front of my car. I will not disgust you with the details, but it was not a pretty sight. She had blonde hair that almost looked white and extremely pale skin. She was wearing a green shirt and black-and-green shorts. She also had her black bicycle laying right next to her, the tires deflated and the bike scratched from where I hit it. Obviously, she was going out on her bicycle to get some exercise on this gorgeous afternoon.  And I ruined that.


    Once I stopped panicking, I rushed out of my car to see if she was okay. Eyes closed, I immediately thought that she was unconscious and started to think that maybe she was not just unconscious, maybe she was dead. Just as this thought crossed my mind, though, she started to move a bit. Thank God. I would not be able to live with myself knowing that I killed a person. She tried to sit up, but to no avail. She was too weak from the crash.

“Who, who are you?” she immediately asked once she opened her eyes and saw me towering over her.

“I accidentally hit you with my car and came over to see if you are okay and how much damage I caused.”

“I cannot move. Call 911. They will be able to assist me.”

“Of course. I am really sorry about what happened and I can assure you that it was an accident. I am more than willing to pay for any medical bills or to fix your bike.”

“That is very kind of you, but right now I just need some medical assistance. We can talk about the charges later, when I am not in so much pain” she said, through agony because of all of the pain.

I went back to my car and called 911, screaming at them to come as soon as possible to assist this lady. They showed up exactly two minutes and fifty-seven seconds later, all ready to help this poor lady.


As she was being put onto a stretcher, I started bawling. “Don’t worry, kiddo. I am sure that it was just an accident and I am sure that the lady knows that as well. Plus, there are plenty of worse ways that this incident could have gone so just be grateful that it is not worse than this” a paramedic told me. That just made me cry even more.


Once the lady was all settled inside the back of the ambulance, strapped down so that she would not be in more agony throughout the ride to the hospital, the ambulance took off, its siren sounding louder than usual.


A few days later, I got a strange phone call. I did not recognize the number, but I felt an urge to answer the call anyway. Sure enough, it was the hospital calling, telling me that I was needed to come into the hospital because the lady whom I hit wanted to speak to me. I tried to figure out why she wanted to speak to me now, but the lady on the phone could not tell me any information. She just said to get to the hospital as soon as I could.


I came to the doorway of her hospital, room 247, and knocked quietly, just in case she was asleep. I heard a faint “come in” so I opened the door quietly and entered the room.

 

And then I woke up. Wow. That was a crazy dream.