Dawn | Teen Ink

Dawn

By janeashausten SILVER, Clarksville, Maryland
janeashausten SILVER, Clarksville, Maryland

This is the story of two lovers

Conjoined only by darkness masked in false logic

Torn apart by a painfully blinding sunlight

She wouldn’t listen. His rules were clear, his system straightforward, his consequences obvious. Yet, she wouldn’t listen. She refused. He threatened, she ignored. He could see tears streaming down her face with every disagreement. But he could not stop; he needed to felt like a man, he needed the sense of control and pride. When she started to fade he drew her back in with the words of his love.

Her head was screaming. The worst part was that she could not leave him. Would she find her feeling of safety anywhere else? True he was controlling and demanding, and even abusive. But he had good intent, and as long as things were peaceful between him and her, she was perfectly fine. If she ran away, he would chase her, and she just would not be able to resist. She still loved him, there were just thousands of obstacles in the way. She had to stay, no matter the emotional or physical consequences. The night grew even darker, surrounding them in its thick blackness.

He was not a terrible person, he simply needed control more than anything else. He had no stability, absolutely no certainty in this ever changing world. His life was a state of confusion. He only wanted one outlet. One thing he could forever control. But the thing is, he forgot that she was a person. And people are unpredictable, people cannot be caged into consistency.

She held her breath and ran. She was done. So what if it cost her her life, the one she was living was miserable anyways.

She ran. She couldn’t run, she was all he had. Nevertheless, she ran.

Knowing she had lost his love pained her more than anything. This time he was not running after her. She had lost the only thing she had ever had. She could hear his promises echoing in the back of her own mind. She never got to find out if he would keep them.

He watched her run away down a stream somewhere. He tried to chase after her, but she was going too fast--too far away for him to ever catch up. With each step he felt the emotional distance begin to grow. He captured her essence through the photograph of his tainted memory. That was all he would ever get to have of her again. It was over, he turned in the opposite direction and shrunk away. He had lost his air, his oxygen, the only thing he had left to survive.

She collapsed, out of breath, on a rock beside the bubbling river. There she lamented the unmentionable loss. Immobile with the bind of sorrow, she lied there helpless. Her love was gone, her life shattered into pieces of glass stained with the colors of heartbreak. Even breathing was a struggle. With every inhale rose a quickly disintegrating memory, and with every exhale a loss of love and life was expelled. How could she take the precious air of others, when she herself had nothing left to live for. She thought this as her last pained tear dried, and she then proceeded to take her final breath before diving into the ice-cold river, hoping to find a new life in its frigid waters.