Simple Living | Teen Ink

Simple Living

By LM2020 BRONZE, Hudson, Ohio
LM2020 BRONZE, Hudson, Ohio

I remember being six or seven, when momma gave me one of her talks. So wise yet so frail, she decided to inspire us youngins. Wanted us to be good people, do right in the world. Since I was her only son, she gave me the most advice. She wanted me to turn out the best, at least that’s what I thought. She’d talk to us individually, make us all feel special. It was a sunny day. Momma was sittin’ on the porch, in the wicker rockin chair, watching daddy work in the field. She summoned me over,

“Come on over here Gary, Come sit by me, I wanna talk to you.” I walked over, looking at her. She was wearing her ratty old dress with her cardigan, one she knitted herself. I sat down, she soon started talking again.

“So Gary, you know why I wanted to talk to you?”

“No ma’am.”

“Well your growin up now, goin to school and I thought there were some things I should tell you.”

“Why now Momma? Why not wait till I’m even older?”

“Honey, You know I got the sickness, I don’t know how much longer I have.”

“Oh,” I responded.

“Let me start and don’t be doin no interruptin. First don’t be in no hurry to grow up. If you do you look up one day and you’ll be old and frail like me. You don’t want that to happen. While you may think, life’s going to slowly and some parts you may want to speed up, don’t. When you look back on it, you will see those moments as a learning opportunity. Next thing to know, things happen for a reason. All things have a plan from the man upstairs. While you may not know what it is, there’s one in place, so trust in him. He knows what he’s doing. Now son, One day you are going to like girls. I know you don’t, but you will. Always remember, treat them with respect and like a lady. It’s good common decency, and she will always remember that. Now one last thing live simple. You don’t need a lot of things to be happy. Okay son.”

“Okay Momma.” My next talk was a few years later. I was twelve or thirteen, Momma was still alive trying to keep me in line and toeing the mark. I had just tried to run away. I had decided it was time for me to leave, to be free, live a different life. Momma scolded me saying,

“What did I tell you before? Did you listen to a word I said at all that day?” and spanked me the best she could. After a few tries she stopped and started talking.

“Why you’d go an leave, you’re only twelve. There’s nothing you would need to find out about yourself just yet. All you need is in your soul. If your trying to find who you are just keep going, you will find yourself. Just remember to live simple. You don’t need a lot of things to be happy.” My last talk was after graduation; I had ultimately decided to pursue my music career. I had been singing for a long time now. My family was ecstatic, there would be a musician in the blood. Momma took me aside behind the barn that night, and said her last pieces of advice.

“Now Gary, You’re leaving this time. Going around the world tryin to be a musician. You may think you know it all but ya don’t. Remember, bein rich don’t mean bein happy. All everyone wants for you is to have the pleasure of satisfaction. Live simple, materials don’t mean a thing when you’re gone.” I left that night. Toured around the country for a year. After a year I received a phone call from Dad. Mom had died in her sleep. She was no longer in pain. I drove home that night. Walked inside the house. Looked at all the memories my mother had created. All the lessons my mother taught me. I found out she had left me a note. She had been harbouring the note for many years, waiting for her death.

“Gary, are you satisfied? Are you living a simple life? Are you loved?”

Yes Momma. Yes, I am.