Diary of Leona Parker | Teen Ink

Diary of Leona Parker

By Barilee_Lege BRONZE, Chicago , Illinois
Barilee_Lege BRONZE, Chicago , Illinois

Leona walks through the street on her way to work, knowing her fate. Like every workday, it’s the same old thing.

Old Ms. Walter sits and waits for Ms. Parker to come pass her house, and when she does, Ms. Walter will make fun of her and push her around.
That is the only time that Ms. Walter ever moves from her chair. Otherwise, she just sits there like an old toad on a lily pad.

Leona will then cross the street and endure cars honking at her for no good reason and then she will get to her work as a seamstress. Behind the scene.

Leona doesn’t mind being behind the scenes. It’s not too bad. Her good friend Amelia protects her from all the people that come by, and she pays her well enough to have a roof over her and food for Leona’s four kids and husband. Leona’s husband is a white man that works with the underclass because he believes in equality for all. If he didn't believe in equality, he’d be making so much money, but he chooses equality for all races.

Leona ends her day at 4 pm and goes to the store. She wants to surprise her kids with some fancy food. As she tries to walk through the door, a white man stops her.

“Oh, I thought I could enter,” Leona says softly.
“Not at this time, you people might want to steal something, and then try to get away with it in this nighttime.”
“Oh no sir,” Leona takes out the money that she saved for her kids. “I won’t steal, I have money for what I want to buy anyway.”
“Oh, do you.” The man takes away her money. “I should surprise my kids too. Thank for that idea, now leave!”
“Sir, that’s my mo-”
“I know, that’s why I took it.”
“Give her her money back.” Another man says.
Leona and the man turn to where the voice is coming from.
It’s from Leona’s husband. He has come to save her for the fifteenth time this week. And it was only Tuesday.
“And what are you going to do about it?” The man threatens.
“Why don’t you head on home Leona, I’ll get this.”
Leona wanted to stand her ground, but she knew she couldn’t do that, or she will get severely punished. Instead, Leona nods and walks around the corner and waits for her husband to finish what he has to do.

This is what Leona goes through almost every day, she wants to get out of this life and live a better life with her kids and husband where nobody will bother her and treat her like an actual human being.

Sadly discrimination is still going on today and has been going on throughout history. If you are being discriminated against, don’t keep it to yourself, tell others you trust. Stand up for what are and never believe you are anything less than yourself. You are you for a reason, don’t let anybody take that away from you.