Flying High on Coke | Teen Ink

Flying High on Coke

March 7, 2018
By frequent_flyer1 BRONZE, Auburn, Washington
frequent_flyer1 BRONZE, Auburn, Washington
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It was 5 am, April 23rd 1985. The distant sound of the moving sounds of the city  created an audible “hrrrrrrrrr” in the sharp, dry air. He took a few shots of vodka, and he got into his car--a Ford Bronco, it sputtered to life and he was soon on his way. The Bronco was not pleased, it wanted a better driver. So, it purposefully took long to warm up, so that John would be late. It finally was warm enough.  He drove down from Talbot Hill in Renton and took the 167 to 405 every morning and was off to downtown Renton. But no amount of alcohol could fix how he felt.

His name was John, John Edwin. He was never cool in school, no one ever liked him because he was a raging alcoholic. Whoever came in contact with him was instantly repulsed by his drunken demeanor and crass personality. With each breath of air he breathed, the surrounding trees dropped their leaves so that their chloroplast would no longer be supporting such a wretched “human” being. Midway during his drive he decided he would not go to work, he merged onto I5 north. He could not af-Ford college without his job.

At the same time and not too far down the road, a shiny new pickup truck sped down the road. His name was Drake, he was a driven man, but he definitely knew how to have a good time. He took a sip of his morning Coca Cola. The red can was something that had never changed and stood by him through some of the most difficult times in his life. He thought back to when he lost his best friend. He quickly shook his head and used different senses to get back on track.  Van Halen came on the radio.

Huh! The devil’s music--yeah right. Guess I am going to hell! He chuckled

All was well, he was on his way to work. He was excited to further his career to become a pilot, but in the meantime it would be just him, sharing a room with his buddy and splitting the cost. He was on his way to Boeing Field for flight training, he worked two jobs to pay for his training--he was tired, but he never gave up. He approached the airport, greenish lights lit the ground. The air was cool, and flowed beside him, he rolled the windows down and cranked the heat.

Two hours later, John was in Seattle. He was along the waterfront. As he walked on the sidewalk the dust on the pavement cleared away from him. The air did not dare touch his face, and the cracks in the pavement grew larger to get away from him. He walked into the 7-Eleven and glared at the attendant who was smiling 30 seconds earlier.

John walked to the back of the store, he somehow was a graduate from high school and was beginning vocational training to become a line worker for a power company so he could work far away from this place. But first, he needed to start his day off right--with a Pepsi. In the background, however, a radio broadcast whirred through the speakers. The attendant turned the volume up. “Today we would like to make the best even better, and we are calling it NEW Coke”.  John paid no attention, he was too good for Coke. He paid the attendant, scowled at her and was on his way. The door was glad to hit him after he left.

He chugged his Pepsi, he needed to have his fix. Once he was done he vocally grunted. He angrily stared at the can, began to shutter, crumpled up the can and threw it on the ground. The remaining sip of Pepsi leftover in the can splashed back up at him and got in his eyes.

AGLHFKJsasgdshgkhfakdjkjasd WHY ME!? This never would've happened if we were still...

Several hours passed, Drake was in the air and he was on approach. The morning gray of seattle caused a harsh white lighting, even the brightest of colors could not beam through. He lined up for the landing and coasted gracefully in. His Cessna slowed and he taxied back to his apron. Although feeling accomplished, he felt withdrawn.

A good day’s work is complete!

Drake got back in his truck and went on his way again. He went to work now. He heard about the New Coke and shrugged.

I wish I had someone to share a coke with right now....

--------- 1 Week Later ---------

Drake continued to think about his best friend, he remembered how much fun they would have together. They did everything with one another. Now they barely even talked.

It all happened when that heathen took the Pepsi challenge. Then he was never the same! He scoffed.

He drove swiftly down the road to the store, he was all out of Coke.  When he got to the store he was shocked. A large line of picketers and several newscasters stood outside. They even wore t-shirts which read “Coke Is Was It” and “Our children will never know original taste”. Drake was appalled. After he took a sip he knew something must be done. He would have to make a decision: take a break from flight training for a while and assist in this movement to save the classic taste of America, or become a pilot. The choice was clear, Coke is it! He could not lose any more friends to Pepsi Co.

--------- Several Days Later ---------

John was having the time of his life, he finally had friends again. Because people were so angry and disgruntled with Coke, people finally went to the Pepsi machine with him at his work. But his dry, repulsive personality still drove them away.

Bahhhhh! Those motherf****** don’t know good even if it bit them right in the face! That’s why I took the Pepsi challenge! I don’t care if I lost my best friend over it, this is just SO much better.

The Pepsi machine ate his last dollar, even it did not want to be around him. John lost his s*** he kicked the Pepsi machine and walked away. To make more friends, John went out on the streets of Renton that night to find more people to convert them to Pepsi-ism. He walked slowly towards Coulon beach.

I can’t let him win! I can’t let him win! He cracked

Drake had found several people from the store that he clicked with, it had been several days and they had all started to become friends. They all went to Renton to hold a protest against NEW Coke. Drake and his new found gang of cola lovers were ready for prime time. They arrived in Renton. They began to look for a place to park near Coulon. He did not know why, but his heart began to race.

John was standing on the sidewalk in Renton. He looked to his left. It was him.

In his truck Drake looked to his right. There he was.

It was too embarrassing to do in public… They didn't know if they could handle it. But it had to be done. They knew that this would suck. Literally. Within minutes, they had found an alley. They set their differences apart one last time. They knew they shouldn't have been doing it, but they couldn't help themselves. The sticky warm liquids splashed everywhere. One hour later, they emerged from the alley. They were both disgusted with each other.

John could not get that awful taste out of his mouth. That sticky, warm… Coca Cola that had been left in the sun. He could not live with the fact that he could not quit Coke.

Drake was disgusted with himself. He had handled and drank from another man’s girthy, smooth can… of Pepsi, and that's how he got Hep-C… But that’s another story.

To Be Continued…?


The author's comments:

This was inspired by the 77 day product crisis that face The Coca Cola Company in 1985, which ultimatley led to the original taste that we all know and love returning. I decided to make a story about two friends ripped apart by differences in cola preferences. To convey to the reader how important and deep relationships can be torn apart by something as insignificant as Coke and Pepsi.