The Sneak | Teen Ink

The Sneak

December 18, 2017
By Michael1424 BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
Michael1424 BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The Sneak

I scamper through the 16th row in the bleachers at Progressive Field, Ohio. I trip over many feet and get shoved to the bottom of the stairs and then turn to make my way to the bathrooms under the scoreboard. I am looking for Jake, who told me that he was going to be by the front entrance by the gates. I am currently at Game 7 of the 2016 World Series. This game is one of the most intense games ever in the sport of baseball. The Cubs have not won a world series in 108 years and the Indians are not much better with not winning a World Series game in the last 68 years. If the Cubs won this World Series, they would be cured from all of their curses that everyone has ever spoken of. If the Indians won, the city of Cleveland will explode with happiness and parties. There were over 1.6 million fans of the Indians and Cubs watching this baseball game and over 40 million television viewers. Both of teams were big name teams that were worth tons of money. The Chicago Cubs are worth a whopping 2.2 billion dollars and the Indians somewhere up there as well.
Jake is my 17 year old best friend who I have known since I was 4 years old. We have gone to Hudson Middle school since 6th grade and then moved onto Indian Hill High School. Jake is a taller an rather slim kid who has brown hair and blue eyes. His hair reminds me of my dog’s hair, all curly and short. His tight curls make it so he doesn't need to fix his hair in the morning when I have to wake up and do my hair every morning for about 30 minutes. Jake is a troublemaker and that is why I like him too much. He is always looking to have some fun and mess around without getting into too much trouble. My parents don’t let me get my license until I am 18 so Jake is the man who drives me wherever I want to go. He is that best friend who everyone wants to have.
My goal within the next 30 minutes is to find Jake and get him inside this stadium without him paying. This is going to be nearly almost impossible, but we will try. The price of the ticket to get into the game that we are not going to have to pay is about $2,000. I can buy about 1,998 candy bars with that money.
The game began with a blow when Dexter Fowler, number 24
It is now the top of the 8th inning and this is the time to get Jake into the stadium. It is now or never. I walk toward the entrance of the stadium to be met by 3 security guards. “Where are you going young man?” he asked.
“I'm trying to find the bathrooms. Can you please point me to them?”
“Go past Cheesy Burger the restaurant and take a left,” he demanded.
I looked back at the security guards and began to creep toward the bathrooms. Jake is supposed to be waiting by the gates right next to the bathrooms. I see a yellow hat and brown curly hair and at first sight know it is Jake. “Jake!!!!” I shouted.
He looked directly at me and yelled, “Come here!”
I wandered over rather quickly. I told him to jump the fence and he did. He got in. No issues. $2,000 saved in one jump. “Holy cow!” Jake blurted, “I’m in.”
Every minute after Jake got into the game I felt the guilt and my stomach started to ache. It was very hard to believe that Jake was in and I did not have a good feeling about this.
Now it was time to head back up to the game. It was going into the bottom of the 8th inning and the North Siders were winning by 2. Being from Chicago, we were in a great spot to watch them win the World Series. That is if they can hold onto the lead. We walked up the bleachers to look at the scoreboard to see that there were 2 outs and a 2-2 count. One pitch and we were 3 outs away from being world series champions. Chapman had been in the game for an inning now so we knew he was worn out. I put my head down to grab my wallet I dropped and struggled to find it since everyone was standing. I picked it up and began to yell and cheer. Indians fans next to me were giving Jake and I dirty looks due to our Cubs jerseys we were wearing. I watched the 2-2 pitch and Rajai Davis took one swing and sent a ball toward left field, right at us. Jake jumped over the guy in front of us looking to catch the ball but it would not have mattered if he would have. Rajai Davis just hit a 2 run homerun to tie the game at 6 in the bottom of the 8th. What the heck just happened. The stadium beg,an to jump and Jake looked at me in disbelief. Jake had snuck into the game, watched one pitch, and that one pitch was the pitch that Rajai Davis had stunned the Chicago Cubs on.
“Wow,” shrieked Jake. Those are the only words that Jake said the rest of the night.
Jake and I immediately got out of our seats and left the stadium. I don't know if you can call this a “Bartman” but Jake had just cursed the Cubs… again. As Jake and I left the stadium, it began to rain and they had to stop the game for 17 minutes before they could resume play.  The Cubs had gone on to lose that game in the bottom of the 10th after the Indians had hit a walk off homerun. Jake would never hear the end of this. What I didn't know is that while Jake was jumping over the fence, he recorded the whole thing and the home run and now everyone in the world knew that Jake had cursed the Cubs. That he had seen one pitch in a playoff game in his life and it had ruined the Cubs season. Maybe it would have better for Jake to not have gotten into the game and just stayed home. Jakes phone blew up with messages from friends and strangers with hate messages. One of his messages was from the Chicago Cubs. It read, “You are no longer allowed to attend a Cubs game, -Chicago Cubs front office.”
This was not going to end well, and I didn't know if this was ever going to end.