When They Took You From Me | Teen Ink

When They Took You From Me

April 4, 2016
By HalPal SILVER, Highland, Utah
HalPal SILVER, Highland, Utah
7 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Sobibor - Poland
Part 1:Adriel

November 27,1939
Even in the dark, I could see the brown in Hanne’s eyes. We have been hiding here for days. We weren’t the kind of couple that ran away just for fun, we were hiding for a reason. The reason was the Nazi’s. They are looking for the jews. They are looking for Hanne. But I was not going to let them take her. Hanne was the love of my life. I would have asked her to marry me if it wasn’t for Hitler. But not everything turned out as planned. When we found out they were coming to search our town, we knew that we had to run. Run from the people wanting to kill my love. We ran about 5 miles to the next town, and we are not hiding in a cold, dark, abandoned barn.

I hear her cough, and I know that if we don’t find warmth soon, we might not make it. I wrap my arm around her shoulders, and pull her weak body towards me. She is cold to the touch. I can feel her goosebumps against my skin. She leans her head on my shoulder, and I watch as she drifts to sleep. We need to get out of here. We need to find a warm place where no one is looking for us. 

I think for a moment more when I hear something move, and it was not Hanne. I move Hanne’s head from my shoulder, and set it gently on the ground. I peak out from behind the shelf we are hiding behind. My eyes settle on a dark moving shadow. They found us.
“Hanne,” I whisper as quiet as I can. I watch as her eyelids slowly open, and she suddenly looks confused. “They found us.”

It pains me to see the tears slowly start to form in her eyes. wipe a tear from her soft face, trying to calm her. I quickly glance around the barn again, seeing if that shadow was still there. There was nothing. I know that if we don’t move now, they will soon find us. I grab Hannes soft hand, and help her up from her sitting position on the ground.
“I’m scared Adriel, very scared.” She says to me in barely a whisper.
“You are safe with me.” I tell her as I brush her long brown hair from her face. “I will never let them take you.” We quietly walk out of the barn. When we are close to the door, I stop.
“Hanne I want you to stay here while I go check outside. I am not risking your safety. I love you.” I lightly kiss her forehead, and make my way outside. I round the corner of the barn, when I suddenly hear a noise. The noise came from the barn. Oh no.

Part 2: Hanne

I stand in the barn, when I hear someone approaching me. Adriel was back fast. I turn around, and soon realize, it was not Adriel. This man had a gun in his hand, and was in a uniform. I start backing up against the wall, hot tears streaming down my face. The man keeps getting closer, and closer, when finally he is grabbing me. I scream, hoping Adriel was near. I hear running footsteps.
“Hanne NO!” I heard Adriel yell. But it was too late. More men came and grabbed me. I start to scream, and scream some more. They are carrying me, so far away, that I watch as Adriel slowly fades away, his yells filling the air.
We suddenly reached the train, and I was shoved in. Through my tears I could see families, all with tears streaming down their face. I sat down on the ground, and everything went dark.
November 28, 1939
I woke up when the train slowed to a stop. I listened as the train doors screeched open. They shoved me and and all the other families onto the ground. I looked around, taking it all in. I saw barbed wire fences, and people in stripes. They all looked the same. A soldier guided me inside the fence, and led me into a room with beds everywhere. He handed me a striped jumpsuit, and told me to change immediately. I didn’t even have any privacy, as I changed into my new clothes, hoping no one was looking at me. I think back to yesterday, when I was laying in Adriel’s arms, and my tears start to stream down my face. I would never see him again.

Part 3: Adriel

“I will never let them take you”. Those were some of the last words I said to Hanne before she was gone. I can’t sleep because all I can think about is Hanne suffering. I stand up from the ground, knowing that if I don’t search for Hanne now, it might be too late. I know exactly where they took her. A concentration camp. She was in a concentration camp. I was going to find her, but how? The sound of a train approaching pulled me out of my thoughts. A train! A train only meant one thing. Jews. They are coming for the jews. I start to run towards the sound of the train. This train was going to where they took Hanne. I could easily sneak on, and they could take me right to Hanne. I jumped on the train.

November 29, 1939
I start to see the camp in the distance. I made it. When the door open, I get shoved onto the cold ground. I started heading towards the fence, when a guard called after me.
“You’re not a jew.” He grabbed me by my shirt and moved his face close to mine.
He carried me to outside the fence, when he pulled out his gun, and aimed it at my chest. This was it. I would never be able to save Hanne. I heard as he c***ed his gun, and shot. Pain started surging through me. I saw as the blood rushed out of me. I looked across the fence, seeing if I could at least see Hanne for one last time. I knew it was her when I saw her brown eyes. I cried, not because I was in so much pain, but because she was suffering. I tried to call out her name, but my voice wouldn’t reach above a whisper. Through my tears I could see her heading towards an old building. She opened the door, and walked in. She would never know that I came looking for her. She would never know that I tried to save her. She would never know that I died in the process. My eyelids became heavy as they started to close for the last time. Everything went black.

Part 4: Hanne

As the soldiers are pushing me towards a old building, I think of Adriel. I missed him so much. And chances are, I would never see him again. I was going to die in this place, and I knew it. Once I step in the building, I am crowded by people. Whats going on?

“Sit down,” One of the soldiers commanded us as he walked out the door and locked it behind him.
As I took my seat, my thoughts drifted back to Adriel again. Is he okay? I remembered when the nazi’s first took me away, and the words Adriel said to me just minutes before. They found us. Those were the words I never wanted to hear.
After sitting on the hard bench for about 5 minutes, a gas started to form in the room. Gas. Gas could only mean one thing. They were going to kill us. Everyone around me started to cough, including me. My eyes started to go all foggy, when I suddenly fell to the ground, and my eyes closed.
 


The author's comments:

I have always loved learning about world war 2, and learning about what the jews had to go through. It makes me sad thinking about how much they suffered.