As Worlds Come Crashing | Teen Ink

As Worlds Come Crashing

By NymeriaWaters PLATINUM, Holland, Michigan
NymeriaWaters PLATINUM, Holland, Michigan

"We are all Worms, but I do believe I'm a glow worm"- Winston Churchill

Trust him, they had said; He shall end the tyranny. It was true, I suppose, that the Romanovs were unpopular, doing nothing to help the common people who went in want of bread. Russia had been impoverished for all of our memories, our poor oppressed. We had never had much hope for an improvement. But now they said to trust him. To trust him as bloody skirmishes ran rampant, to trust him as the rich were pulled down. I did. I had to, for the only other option was stagnant slavery.

***
Trust him, they had said; He shall weed out our weak and unworthy. It was true I suppose, that not all were as fit for this new life as others. Out streets were most certainly filled with secret traitors, each lying in wait for the next victim to fill with their scandalous lies. We had never been safe from the gossipers. So now they told us to trust him. Trust him as our neighbors went missing daily, trust him as he removed the secret bourgeoisie from the streets. I did. I had to, for the only other option was chaos.
***
Trust him, they said; He shall keep our enemies from killing us all. It was true, I suppose, that the world was breaking around us. We heard tales of war, terrible tales as nation turned upon nation. The war to end all wars had worn off. Terrible war was upon us, and our country had to be protected. And now they told us to trust him. Trust him as once strong alliances shattered, trust him as our men began marching into the battles. I did. I had to, for the only other option was Hitler.
***
We heard nothing as our beloved Leningrad fell to rubble. No promises of victory, no hopes of salvation. Truth hit us. Leningrad was dying, my city was dying. Daily I saw signs of human suffering, terrible sights, as neighbor turned upon neighbor in the impossible hunt for bits of food. Our once strong city had faded. Starved bodies lined the edges of the streets, mutilated by us who had turned to a once deplorable action in search of food. Trust Him they had said. Another child falls dead of cold and hunger. Trust him they said as the once high life turned to living Hell. I tried, I could give him no more, for death seemed an appealing option.
***
Trust him, they say; He is our great leader. It was true. We were all lead by him. Our lives passed us by, the horrors of the war gradually disappearing. Our city was rebuilt, days passed by peaceful. They told us to trust him as life carried on. To trust him as our mundane days once again began to meld together. I did. I had to. For he was the only option.

"Dedicated to the victims of war and facism" -Dmitri Shostakovich on his 8th string quartet.

wolvesandwilderness GOLD, Lakeland, Florida

“Funny how a single word can change everything in your life."
"It is not funny at all. Steel is power. Money is power. But of all the things in all the worlds, words are power.”

Darrow au Andromedus and Nero au Augustus in Red Rising.

Ah... so you write historical. It's good; I love historical. Writing is great.