Pride and Prejudice: 13 years later | Teen Ink

Pride and Prejudice: 13 years later

February 27, 2015
By Lautay BRONZE, Bannockburn, Illinois
Lautay BRONZE, Bannockburn, Illinois
4 articles 4 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Our aspirations are our possibilities- Samuel Johnson


A young girl burst through the doors, her brown, straight hair hanging by the side of her face, her dress a pearl white, her petticoat hanging below her dress and lace that stretches on her chest. Elizabeth turns to her, and gasps at her petticoat drenched six inches in mud. “Clara!” Cried she, jumping from her seat and setting her book down. Clara’s face flushed and she hung her head staring at her dress. “Fetch Clara her nightgown.” Mr.Darcy said calmly to the servant, as he started towards the young girl. “Where have you been?” enquired Elizabeth.

“I have been out,I have only walked 3 miles mother. I said I would be back for dinner.” Clara said confidently.
She had ventured over the fields behind the house and taken a trip to town, unfortunately it had rained the night before leaving the mud sticky and wet, although the sun shone upon the land. Elizabeth only laughed at her daughter and whisked Clara up the wooden staircase, she glanced back at Mr.Darcy and rolled her eyes, smiling sweetly at him. A grin ran over his face and his eyes shone. 13 years had passed since their love for each other was voiced, not one shred of it had vanished. Had she known such admiration they shared would turn into the life they owned today, she would have been very much pleased with her future self and looked upon the way she treated him before with much disgrace. He on the other hand could not be happier with the life he lived and is going to live, and knows that if one moment had changed he would not be where he is. Clara, 13 years of age, has much to live for. Her aunts were well admired by her and her to them, her uncles were just as pleasing. Had the death of her Grandfather, Mr.Bennet, not caused so much distress in the family it would be a childhood of perfection. Clara had such beauty, courage and kindness in her, that Elizabeth and Mr.Darcy could not be prouder.

Elizabeth proceeded downstairs, she sighed and settled next to Mr.Darcy, his strong frame embracing her.
“She takes after you, you know.” He stated, smiling at her.
“I know, you were so shocked to find me in your garden 14 years ago, having walked the three miles it is to Netherfield.”
Clara came in, a braid wrapped around her head like a crown and the rest of her hair hanging down her back to her shoulder blades. Her lips rosy, red smiled sweetly and she walked towards the piano stool, a soft song arose from the keys, nothing could be more perfect.

The next day Elizabeth received a letter from Jane and Mr.Bingley, it read:

 

‘My dearest Lizzy,

I’m sorry I have not written in a while but I have hardly had time to write. We have been awfully busy but we have decided to come to Pemberley and visit Mr.Darcy, Clara and Yourself. I hope this causes no inconvenience, we will be coming late afternoon next Tuesday. Oh Lizzy, I am most happy here, Mr.Bingley and I have settled into Netherfield quite well! Mama does well, her nerves have driven Mary and Kitty out of the house and I dare say they will drive her crazy soon. She has been so melancholy since Papa died, I dare say she will visit us soon for she hates to be alone. Mr.Collins brings news he will not take over Longbourn but will stay in the comfort and hospitality of Lady Catherine De Bourgh, Charlotte is quite happy with the idea for she was not too pleased to turn our family out of our home. However, Kitty has found herself a husband, one of the officers. You will be pleased to hear he has no such character as Wickham’s, he is a true gentleman. I will be ever so happy to see you! I hope you are as happy as I am!

We will see you shortly,
Yours ever,

Mr and Mrs.Bingley ‘

Days later, a Tuesday, Mr and Mrs.Bingley came to visit at Pemberley. Jane came in first of all, Clara ran to her and hugged her with a broad smile on her face. Mr and Mrs.Darcy greeted them with as much delight.

“My dearest Jane.” Elizabeth exclaimed holding her hands, that were dressed in silk, white gloves.

“Dear Lizzy! My how Clara has grown, I see she has quite settled into Pemberley.” She smiled and looked over to Clara who sat patiently waiting on the sofa.

As night fell and glasses of wine were passed around the room more than once, Clara became impatient on waiting. Upon approaching the room, she listened to the laughter of her Aunt and Uncle, as well as her parents. Opening the doors silently she slipped inside, and tiptoed over to the piano stool and began to press the keys with her delicate fingers. Her parents turned to Clara,

“Clara, what are you playing for whilst your Aunt and Uncle are her?” Elizabeth said embarrassed for her daughter sake, Elizabeth had played a night at Rosing’s Park in the company of Lady Catherine De Bourgh, Mr.Collins, Mrs.Collins and Mr.Darcy himself. The trip was tied with a memory of which Mr.Darcy had told Elizabeth of his love for her and knowing that he separated his sister and Mr.Bingley, she said nothing more than that she could never accept him.  This all changed later on though as her feelings for him grew on until they met early morning in midst of the sunrise. Elizabeth hoped that Clara would meet her own Mr.Darcy for she could not be more completely,perfectly and incandescently happy. Her father of whom she was very fond, could not believe of her marrying him, for she was not fond of the man in her family’s eyes. However, her feelings grew so gradually she could hardly place a date.They next received a letter from Mr and Mrs. Wickham, it read:

‘ Mr and Mrs.Darcy,

I have been ever so busy lately I have not found the time to write. We have been to Brighton just yesterday, what fun I am having! Lizzy you must not feel sorry for yourself I dare say you will have fun soon enough, I just received your letters, how dull they sound compared to what I am doing! The bad blood between Mr.Darcy and my husband has cleared and therefore we would be delighted to visit you in Pemberley.. Our dear Charles would of course love to see Clara, he has quite a fancy towards her I gather and she to him. We will be there at some point when travel is suitable. How much fun we shall have!

Yours ever,

Lydia Wickham  ‘

In a morning of June, Mr and Mrs Wickham, visited with Charles. Charles was 15 years old, and he took quite a fancy to Clara. For who could not,Clara was the town beauty afterall. But Elizabeth worried that he had inherited Mr.Wickham’s personality, and that he would hurt Clara like his father had to Mr.Darcy’s sister, Georgiana and caused chaos in the Bennett house when we ran away with Lydia.

Clara however detested the boy, he was always talking to her as if she were inferior. He thought so highly of himself he did not try to win her over, he expected her to love him. Whenever he visited he only talked of himself, Charles was very self confident and  anticipated her telling him, her undying love for him.


As Charles approached her, she folded her arms and turned away.
“Good Evening Miss.Clara, and how are you this fine evening?”
Clara became confused and uncrossed her arms, as astonished as she was that he was taking an actual interest in her, she took part in the conversation.
“I am very well thank you Charles, and how are you this evening?” As soon as the words left her mouth, she regretted them, how foolish could she be to turn the conversation to him! He would surely turn the conversation to be about himself.
“I am very well thank you, would you do me the honour of taking a turn around the room?”
Clara could not believe what she was hearing but as he rose his arm for her to take she could not think of any excuse.
“Isn’t this pleasant?” he enquired,
“Yes,very.” She replied in a quiet tone, her cheeks blushed as Elizabeth’s eyes followed her and Charles around the room, Mr.Darcy noticed and occupied Elizabeth until Charles asked Clara to the garden.

The night moon glowed on the green,lush grass. Dew drops rested on top of the green blades. They walked along the gravel road next to the glistening lake.

“ I cannot hold it in anymore.” Charles stopped suddenly and held Clara’s hands,”I cannot hold my feelings in, I..” he hesitated for a moment and walked away rubbing his face and cupping his mouth, “Clara, I have come to realise how ardently I admire and love you.” Clara quite taken aback, could not speak for all the words rushing through her head.
“Well, is this my answer, silence? I have always admired you, but now I see I do love you more than I can explain, against my own will, I love you.”
“You tell me you love me against your own will? That is how you tell me? Sir I am sorry but I must tell you that I cannot love you. I know you cannot make me happy and I know I certainly am the last person in the world that can make you happy sir.” Clara sternly remarked, she stood silently and before he could reply, walked back to the house leaving him standing in the cold moon.

Charles and Mr and Mrs. Wickham left the next day. “It is nice to have the house back to ourselves again.” Elizabeth sighed.
“Yes, I must write to Georgiana, she has asked how we have been and only now do I have time to write to her.” Mr.Darcy said as he walked into the drawing room.


One rainy day a letter arrived from Lady Catherine De Bourgh, it read:

‘ Nephew,

I am utterly astonished you allow your daughter to roam around the countryside unattended ,Elizabeth should be keeping a better eye on her. It is not fit for a young woman to be walking three miles, she cannot be ill-bred for it is your name and my own in which it would affect. It would not matter so much had you married my daughter in which you were intended for. No matter, I have made my opinions clear.

Yours truly,
Lady Catherine De Bourgh ‘


Five years later Clara bounced downstairs to where her mother was sitting.
“Mother, may I have a carriage to Meryton? For there is a ball at Netherfield Park tonight and I wish to attend and buy a gown for the occasion.” Clara asked early one morning in the midst of the sunrise. “Whyever do you need a new gown from Meryton? You have many gowns which will make do for now.” Elizabeth said sternly, Clara’s expression dropped and she began to play a melancholy tune on the piano. Her real reason for going to Meryton was she longed to see her closest friend Catherine. Mr.Darcy came into the room, “Why do you play such melancholy tunes my dear?” He questioned.
“Mother will not allow me to go to Meryton for the ball tonight and new gown.”
“You may go to the ball, but there is no need for a new gown!” Elizabeth replied sternly.
“I shall get you a carriage my dear,” Mr.Darcy said to her sweetly, he turned to Elizabeth and said, “She must have some time on her own to explore the world.”


In Meryton, Clara met with Catherine and they each bought a gown. As they exited the store, a young man bumped into Clara and the dress flew through the air. The young man caught the dress in the middle of the road and handed it back to her.
“Thank you so much sir, how may I repay you?” She asked delightedly, he smiled
“That is not necessary for such a beautiful young lady, my name is William.”
“My name is Clara.” She replied sweetly.
“Here, let me walk you to your destination. Where are you going?”
“ We are going to Pemberley.”
“Really? What business have you in the house of Mr.Darcy?” He asked puzzled.
“He is my father, I live at Pemberley.”

Clara took William’s arm, Catherine followed closely behind smiling, feeling the happiness of her friend. William and Clara talked the whole carriage ride, he was becoming more and more fond of Clara and Clara just the same.


Clara and William met many a time, at balls the only person William would stand up with was Clara. Clara invited William for dinner, she sent a letter reading:

‘Dear William,

You will be surprised to hear from me I am sure, but my parents and I would be honoured to invite you into our home for dinner one night. I understand you may not be able to get a carriage, however, we will provide you with one sent to your home. I would be ever so delighted to have you! I do so hope you will be able to attend. If you would, please send me a letter confirming the delivery and if you will be able to attend.

Yours ever,

Clara  Darcy  ‘

Weeks later William came to dine with her family. Mr.Darcy was wary of him but Elizabeth liked him very much. The night was passed with laughs and smiles until William asked Clara for a walk around the grounds.

“It is very late, and the weather was not sufficient today.” Mr.Darcy jumped in,
“My Dear, they are all right, they will not be long.” Elizabeth turned to Clara, “You must return after no longer than one hour.”

The night was dark, only small beams of the moon shone upon the gravel path. Her arm was linked with his as their feet walked slowly towards the lake, little conversation was passed and few words. As the silence became tiresome, Clara turned her head to look back at the house. They had not been walking long and had travelled very little, but Clara was desiring their return to the house.

William stopped and turned towards Clara,
“Clara I must confess that I love you, I have admired you since I met you. The girl behind the flying gown was more than kind but she was also more beautiful than anything on the world. I cannot express how I feel. But it must be prevented…” He lowered his head and spoke again, “Clara, I am not wealthy. My family is poor and have little money. Your parents will find it an unsuitable match, and I cannot hurt you like that.”
“My parents will not know of your misfortune and even so I do not care for that. Like you do not care for my inheritance.” Clara pleaded, “I must not let my parents wishes get in the way of someone I admire so very greatly.”
“Clara it cannot be. You know that your parents will not give their consent.” He answered, sternly, growing frustrated.
“I will not accept what my parents do or do not wish for me.” Clara stood her ground, she was determined that her parents will not control her life. She has never had any freedom under her mother's thumb. Clara understood that Elizabeth only wished the best for her, except she could not let her parents disregard William or any man because of his wealth. William was better in her eyes than anyone else that could give her more money.


They both ended the conversation and walked back to the house.
“William, do not let my parents wishes block your feelings, if you love me tell me, if not I shall speak no more on the subject.”
“Clara, I do love you. But it will hurt both of us if your parents do not give their consent.”
“Do not be so hasty, my mother took a strong liking to you.” she remarked,
“But your father seemed very hesitant to let us out alone.”
“He will surely not let his own will get in the way of my feelings towards you.”

They began walking, behind a straight face Clara could hardly contain the happiness she felt. Her heart raced out of her chest, her arm tightened around his. She was leaning in close her head rested on his strong frame. The world around did not matter, they lost in the moment completely taken with each other.

Elizabeth and Mr.Darcy sat in the room with not much conversation being past. Mr.Darcy spoke up,

“What if William should ask for her hand?” He worried,
“My dear, what could be wrong with such a  gesture.”
“You approve of his marrying her?”
“With all my heart, I would not have it any other way.”
Mr.Darcy pondered on what his wife had said, he has not the money he desired him to have, however Clara was wholeheartedly in love with him, how could he refuse his consent? He was hesitant to loose his daughter for he had not had the time to bond with her like Elizabeth had with Mr.Bennett. He came to the conclusion that he could not let his own wishes cease them joining in matrimony.

The two of them entered the grand room arm in arm. Mr and Mrs.Darcy smiled happily at the sight. William sat Clara next to her mother and approached Mr.Darcy.

“My good man, may I speak with you….alone.” He spoke in confidence but was shaking in his bones.
Mr.Darcy rose from his seat and guided the young man out of the room. Moments later they returned, Clara  had played piano forte and Elizabeth procceded with her book.
“....Then it is decided young man.” Said her father as they opened the doors to the room.
William’s smile could stretch over the whole of pemberley and light up the entire room. Clara jumped from the piano stool and ran to William, Mr.Darcy took Clara outside and began talking to her whilst Elizabeth congratulated William and discussed the arrangements.
“Are you sure my dear?” Mr.Darcy asked politely as he could.
“I am very sure Father, for no one could bring me more joy.” Clara smiled brightly,
“Very well, we shall start the arrangements.” He leaned over and kissed Clara’s forehead.

Clara was immensely overjoyed, happier than she could make sense of. They lived in a house bought from money given to Clara and earned by William. It was a grand, beautiful house bordered by woods and a small river that ran through the grounds.

Over the land, in a small room, the sun was setting below the land,and orange beams glared through the windows. A woman and a man sat on a velvet sofa. Clara was curled up next to him, William held her close. The rest of the house was silent.

“How are you today my dear wife?”

“I am completely, perfectly and incandescently happy.”


The author's comments:

This is a piece based off of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, 13 years later. It includes a daughter, Clara, a newly found romance and family drama.