Autobiography: On Annabel {Derived from "Annabel Lee" by Edgar Allan Poe} | Teen Ink

Autobiography: On Annabel {Derived from "Annabel Lee" by Edgar Allan Poe}

By Olivia-Atlet ELITE, Dardenne Prairie, Missouri
Olivia-Atlet ELITE, Dardenne Prairie, Missouri

"To these the past hath its phantoms,
More real than solid earth;
And to these death does not mean decay,
But only another birth"
- Isabella Banks

My Autobiography:
On Annabel

Her smile brightened even the darkest of my thoughts, leaving me to relish in its splendorous light. She was the most cheerful and optimistic girl I have ever met, and she was gorgeous because of it.
I don’t think she quite realized how much she truly meant to me. (Being a child though, I scarcely knew how extreme and ridiculous our love really was)
We always walked together through the warm sand beaches, our bare toes caked with scratchy grains. We’d hold each others hand, and collect seashells from the rising tide. It was always wonderful when we were together, but the same cannot be said for when we were apart.
On one particular evening, we spotted a delicate bundle of seaweed, dried in the distorted version of a crown. I placed it upon her head with such reverence and adoration that an onlooker might fancy us a pair of seldom seen royals, practicing for a soon to be coronation.
The sun waned away, yet I was warm as ever, and her aura of happiness illuminated the darkening see with gleaming rays.
We dreamt of mermaids, calling us to the waves, bidding us welcome into their realm. We heard the banshees cry sound from the rocks, and the smooth stone under our feet whispered compliments into our ears.
We were sensitive children, and everything had a voice to us. We would hug one another under the misty air, knowing the angels wished to be us. We loved so deeply, so unconditionally…
But then she… she went away from me.
She was sent far off, to a land I cannot reach by boat, train, or by tunnel. She flew into the clouds, where I could only hope to see her again if I grew wings myself. My heart ached, and fell to my stomach, shattering into irreparable pieces. Annabel was gone, and I would never see her again. 
I longed to be with her, to watch her eyes cascade with happiness. I wanted to caress her hands one last time, to tell her how beautiful she was. I wanted to love her for just a little while longer. I missed her so much. I still think of the days before I had left our little kingdom by the sea. I would lie next to her tomb, crying bitterly over her decaying corpse. I would scream, but the ocean drowned me out, hiding what bit of humanity anyone could have heard. I was so alone, my eerie place of solitude left no sign of life in my body. I was as unpersonified as the shells I kept at my feet, and as heartless as the sand.
There may not have been a time when I got over Annabel, but I know she is watching me from her radiant tower, wondering when I will call upon her once more. She sings my name and with the wind I hear her song. In the waves she plays with the turtles, and the grass giggles with her voice. She haunts me with delight, and I know that she is waiting.

I hope you enjoyed this short "Autobiography" about Annabel Lee's lost love.

on Dec. 10 2014 at 8:12 pm

"To these the past hath its phantoms,
More real than solid earth;
And to these death does not mean decay,
But only another birth"
- Isabella Banks

Thank you so much :) I appreciate your kind words ^_^

on Dec. 10 2014 at 8:04 pm
Princess.Renda GOLD, Travelers Rest, South Carolina

"All the world is made of faith, trust, and pixie dust." --J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan

AMAZING!! I really love this :))