The Common Natives | Teen Ink

The Common Natives

October 2, 2012
By BradenBecknell GOLD, Portland, Texas
BradenBecknell GOLD, Portland, Texas
19 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The truth is I gave my heart away, my whole heart, and I never quite got it back."


The Native American’s lives varied due to different external stimuli such as the weather, tribe, soil, and water routes. There are countless unique cultures of each clan, which is part of the reason some of them conflicted with each other, while others became allies. In video one, the regions of the United States were broken into six diverse areas.

In the Pacific Northwest, (present day Oregon and Washington) there were the tribes of the Chinook, Walla Walla, Eayuse, and the Tillamook. The four of these ethnic groups seemed to have similar ways of life and traits, compared to the tribes in the other regions. As do many cultures, they moved where the water flowed. Many folk tales were born through the water ways. They lived near major water ways with the densest areas located on river banks. The most common stereotyping for this region is that they lived off of Salmon fishing, which is partially true, but they also traded with others. These tribes had very distinctive artwork and they poured their heart and soul into every piece they made. For them art was not a hobby, but rather a form of communication with one another. Often times artwork would include their family tree or other things considered of most importance. To them family was very important. All political affiliations and trade was done amongst the kin groups.

The tribes of the California Coast were made up of the Pomo, Milwok, Ohlone, and the Chumash. Some of these people spoke up to twelve languages. The Chumash tribe was one of the largest tribes in the area with over a thousand people in it. These tribes were advanced in hunting and gathering techniques. Numerous wars occurred amongst each other which made the high risk environment even worse. These people were not self sufficient which led to an increase of competition amongst each other. They were very dependent upon each other and other tribes around them, due to the harsh environment around them. Trade sometimes carried all the way to the tribes in the Southwest region. Canoes were used to advance the trade up and down the nearby rivers. The amount of knowledge the natives had of the stars and other astronomical matter was quite impressive. Stars were seen as a viewable image of their ancestors and also something they named their kids by. Clans estimated the weather by the use of this knowledge, making them one of the most superior regions at this time. Nevertheless, this region was annihilated by the Europeans.

Where the region of present day Santa Fe is once lived the pueblo people, which included the Navaho, Pueblo, and Apache Indians. Farming was very important to these people as well as community. The perfection of village life was reached by these people. Resources and walls were shared with each other as they were a people of kindness toward one another. These people were so complex, that there was a summer leader and a winter leader. Plazas, multiple floors, and rooms were part of the architecture these people used in the Pueblo Bonito & Choco canyon. Bad weather constantly bombarded these people, making survival every day a trial. All kinds of fields were used for farming, just in case something corrupted the crops, they would have food from the other locations. Communication, warfare, and trade were some of the most.