The Monarch | Teen Ink

The Monarch

By justjosie PLATINUM, Scottsburg, Indiana
justjosie PLATINUM, Scottsburg, Indiana

"Love a girl who writes,
and live her many lives;
you have yet to find her,
beneath her words of guise."

The people rioted through the streets, demanding to be heard. The sky turned black with the smoke of their torches and the world rocked with their screams. They all wanted the same thing...

The king to be dethroned.

The king had slowly began to lose touch with his people after the horrific deaths of his beloved wife and three children. His heart became black, his soul bitter. He rose the taxes of the land higher almost every month because the only thing that pleased him now was the cold hard surface of a golden coin.

More and more people poured into the street everyday and they did not go home. They camped on the river, the streets, even the Grand Court outside the castle. Even some of the king’s royal advisors had joined the riot. Attempts on the kings life became more and more frequent, and the king began to fear what the people might do next. He knew that if his people stormed the castle, his withering forces would not be able to hold them back.

Alone in his chambers, deep inside the heart of the castle, the king stood facing a grand mirror, adjusting his lion fur cloak. Hardly any servants had stayed when the riot started, so he had to dress himself. His ancient eyes traveled to the side of the mirror where a portrait of him and his family hung. He glanced to the face of his wife. “Oh Josephine,” he sighed, “what has our kingdom become....” He looked back into the mirror. “What have I become?”

The captain of the Royal Guard slowly opened the door. “My Lord,” He said, “everything is ready for you.”

The king nodded sadly and followed the captain out of the room and up a long flight of stairs to the balcony over looking the Grand Court. All of the few who were still loyal to their king huddled behind the curtain to the balcony. The roar of the crowd sent chills up the king’s spine. All of these people hate me, he thought. A young maid straitened the kings robes and nodded at her work. She met his gaze, tears welling in her eyes. “Good luck your Highness.”

The king took his last look at all the ones who were loyal to him, then he turned and walked onto the balcony with his head held high.

The crowd erupted into curses and boo’s. The king placed his hands on the rail of the balcony and people quieted down. He stood there, choosing the right words before he spoke. Finally, he opened his mouth and called down to the assembled people, “It is obvious why all of you have left your homes, quit your jobs, just to come here. You want me gone.” At this many people yelled agreements. The king continued “But why? I am the true ruler to this kingdom, without me, you all will stumble through the dark like blind men. I am willing to learn from my mistakes if you will let me!

“Heed my call people of this great land! I am ready to turn a new leaf and start anew! But we all must be willing to start again! So quite this rioting! You have families to take care of, jobs to be done! So I extent my hand and I ask humbly for your forgiveness!”

No one moved, far below, an archer notched his bow.

The king never saw the arrow coming.

on Mar. 12 2012 at 6:42 pm
Anny_Grace SILVER, Centennial, Colorado
Love the Ending! Deffinetly the best part. You are great at writing Historical stuff!

on Mar. 10 2012 at 1:07 pm
Lady_Lemon GOLD, Franklin, Wisconsin
Awwww so sad!!!! :'( Good work J!!!!