Somewhere Safe | Teen Ink

Somewhere Safe

December 17, 2011
By -Madhatter- PLATINUM, Ballwin, Missouri
-Madhatter- PLATINUM, Ballwin, Missouri
21 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I hate it when people see you in the supermarket and they are like 'Hey! What are you doing here?' and I'm just like 'Oh you know....hunting elephants'"


I took our twin daughters from my wife as we watched in silent horror. The Nazis had come for us in the middle of dinner and we had no time for an escape. They were searching for my mother and destroying our home in the process. I sent a silent prayer of gratitude to God for my mother being sent away to the safety of a hiding home many minutes before they came pounding on our door. “Where are you hiding her, dirty Jew?” The first one snarled.
“I am not hiding her.” I responded calmly, though my heart was about to burst out of my chest.
“Liar.” The second one sneered with contempt. He rounded on my wife trying and failing to lean her against the wall. She promptly smacked him and turned away from him. The Nazi grabbed her arm and turned her back around. “Don’t play games with me traitor.” He hissed.
My wife’s eyes widened with anger “How dare you call me traitor? I married a Jewish man, so what? His father and my father both fought World War I on your side and they both lost their lives to defend a country that lost all its pride! Their deaths were for nothing!” ~No.~ I pleaded silently ~Sarah, stop. ~ But she wasn’t done. “You expect me to believe that it’s the Jews of Germany that caused us to lose? That they made Germany in this disgusting state? I th-“
“SHUT UP!” The Nazi screamed, interrupting her. He struck her across the head with the butt of his gun. “Pity,” He added looking down at her. “She is such a pretty thing.” I growled angrily but was silenced by Sarah’s limp form. Blood was welling from the wound in her head and her eyes were glazed over in pain. Her face was paling, yet Sarah’s eyes gleamed with defiance. “Irving,” She whispered hoarsely “Take care of Ruth and Elizabeth.”
“No.” I murmured “Sarah you’ll be okay.” I knelt down at her side and pressed a rag I found on the ground to her head wound. Ruth and Elizabeth were only ten but knew precisely what was going on. Ruth let out a low wail, and Elizabeth buried her face unto Sarah’s side. Sarah beckoned me down and said something I couldn’t hear. “What?” I asked.
“Kiss me,” She susurrated louder. I bent down and kissed her softly, still clamping the rag to her head. “Sarah,” I muttered lovingly “Don’t leave me.” No response came from her. I gazed at her beauteous body and chocked back a sob. Her form was still. My Sarah was dead. I heard tromping upstairs and knew the Nazis were bound to come downstairs soon. “I’m so sorry Sarah. I must leave and take the girls to a better place. I can’t drag you with me… I hope you understand.” I took my girls and ran out the front door. The thought of my lovely Sarah lying on the floor in her own pool of blood made me run harder. I never wanted it to end that way for my girls. The stars slipped from the sky making it dark. ~Thank you. ~ I prayed silently ~you have made our travel safer. ~ We ran further engulfed in the safety of the dark to find somewhere secure.