Antietam | Teen Ink

Antietam

June 9, 2011
By MoonHeart SILVER, PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania
MoonHeart SILVER, PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania
5 articles 0 photos 7 comments

MaryAnn sent me home that day, earlier than she normally did. I had worn m purple shawl and matching bonnet. It was winter, and snowing really hard outside. As I walked through town to the old road that led home, I heard the sound of hooves against the pebble stone square.

The snow engulfed me into nothingness, a waste land. The falling snow quickly covered up my tracks, as I walked along the old road. I was surrounded by woods now, and I knew that soon I would pass the meadow. I heard a loud noise, and knew only one thing could make that noise. A rifle.

I ran faster, and faster, then I saw it. The Meadow. Blood was shed all over it. The red blood shined brightly, against the blinding snow. Thousands of bodies lay there, all over the ground. Some moaning for god to take them away so the pain would end, others crying out in pain, and some staying silent, because death had found them.

I turned on my heel to run home, and get help. Then I heard the sound of feet coming fast. They were right behind me, and I ran harder and faster than I ever had before. I screamed when I felt hands on the back of my shirt, and I started rising.

Anything after that, I cant remember.