Reach For the Stars | Teen Ink

Reach For the Stars

March 16, 2010
By melodeess GOLD, Edison, New Jersey
melodeess GOLD, Edison, New Jersey
18 articles 0 photos 50 comments

There once was a boy. Despite what everyone else said about him, he knew that he could be useful. Still, everyday when he walked through town, strangers would shake their heads sadly when they saw him. He could only turn away and blink back his tears. Rushing back home, he'd spread out on his bed. When the stars came out, he would stretch out his hands and remember his mother's words, "Reach for the Stars."
Johnny had polio when he was a baby. Ever since then, he walked with a limp. When all his friends climbed up trees and fought invisible enemies, Johnny stayed on the ground. When Ted organized a race on Miller's road, Johnny was always the first to fall behind. While all his friends walked by with their girlfriends, Johnny was alone. No one would ever accept him as a man like the rest. He watched Danny, Robby, Ted, Bill and all his other friends join the army. Johnny sat at home and watched them walk by proudly in their new crisp uniforms. As the ladies in his mother's sewing circle darned their socks and gossiped, they always averted their eyes when he limped past.
Everyone took him as Johnny Retford, always there but never useful. His family all told him they loved him no matter what. But Johnny knew that he had to do something more. He couldn't serve his country like everyone else. But he never gave up from reaching his star.
As the town's boys slowly went off to fight in Europe, Johnny attended the local college. He studied hard and lived for his dream of serving his country. As the boys visited home, rushing to their mothers' and sweethearts' arms, Johnny completed his education. When Danny and Robby did not return, Johnny was the one to salute their flag draped coffin. Johnny then decided there was something he had to do.
Johnny met up with an old friend who was a newspaper columnist. His friend eagerly accepted his idea. As Johnny Retford packed his bags and kissed his mother goodbye, he smiled. He followed the American troops and wrote about their accomplishments and defeats. He sketched pictures of scenes on the battlefield. He sent them back to the US and kept his country informed. His work became a valuable part of history. When Johnny saw his old friend Ted fall on the battlefield, he was the first to get next to him. Ted's expression was one Johnny remembered for the rest of his life. Johnny then knew that he was useful.
There was a man. Despite his struggles throughout his life, everyone knew that he was useful. Everyday when he walked through town, strangers would pump his hand up and down. He could only smile and say, "I did it for my country." Rushing back home, he'd embrace his wife and three children. When the stars came out, he would stretch out his hands and remember his mother's words, "Reach for the Stars."