Rebellion | Teen Ink

Rebellion

By David Denton BRONZE, Lubbock, Texas
David Denton BRONZE, Lubbock, Texas

The rebellion was going great! Us newsies have our work cut out for us and Jack’s been a great leader. I woke up yesterday morning with a good feeling in the pit of my stomach. I’m Jack’s partner and we had great plans for yesterday. We were getting the rest of the newsies rallied up to keep up the fighting, but we were interrupted by those pigs. They were after Jack. All of us newsies tried to help him escape, but there were too many of them. He was taken away to the refuge. I wanted to help him escape but he was carried away to a wealthy house. I followed the carriage and helped him attempt an escape. After we were safely away he told me to keep running, and he went back to the police. He said something about wondering what would happen to my family if I kept on in the rebellion. Today he is one of the rich workers for the newspaper. I don’t know what got in his head. I put down the journal and looked around the antique shop saying, “Wow, I never knew history could be so interesting.”

I was inspired by the rebellion that newsies had several years ago. I hope that this will help develop other peoples interest in learning about our history and realize the importance of antiques.