Fate | Teen Ink

Fate

By Isaiahmurad BRONZE, Providence, Rhode Island
Isaiahmurad BRONZE, Providence, Rhode Island

Dear Family,

The date is June 19, 1916 and I am a soldier stationed in our home country of France that was unfortunately sent to the frontlines. I am in the village of Dury and the fight here is intense.  The battlefield is horrific! I see my friends and fellow soldiers being struck down  by the German army and I am powerless to help them.  We're in the trenches, which is a nightmare I hope to wake up from. There are dead bodies everywhere.  Human feces and rotting flesh invade my nostrils and make me sick to my stomach. This smell is unavoidable and on top of that the food we get, which is very miniscule, is moldy and unfit to be eaten by human beings.  I have been in this nightmare for almost four months now and it is not getting better.  In fact, it couldn't be any worse. The Germans have a new weapon they call a "flamethrower."  It's a hand held machine from Hell that will burn anything in its sight.  These hungry flames are after human flesh.  Many of my comrades have been burned to char and have disappeared from this Earth in a matter of hours.  It's single handedly the most terrifying thing I have ever seen.  This fighting is not necessary.  I don't understand why we can't all just stop and have peace. It would save us from  all of the meaningless bloodshed and death that will eventually consume us all. I am fed up.  I am sick of seeing people being shot, burned and blown into pieces. I want to go home! I want to see you, my dear family.  I want to feel the warm embrace of my loved ones and I want to feel safe in your arms.  Mother, you were right! I should never have joined in the first place. I thought that joining would make a change, but I fear I was wrong and have made a terrible mistake. I can't wait to see you, Mother, Father, little sister and big brother. I was born on January 19, 1898 and I will be home January 19, 1917. I will! When I see you next I will be your little boy no longer. I will be a man. I will see you all soon.

Your loving son,

Liam

---------

Dear Liam's loved ones,

The date is June 20, 1916.  I am sorry to inform you that your son, Liam, has perished in glorious battle.  During the middle of the night, around 26:00, the trenches were bombarded with mortar shells and your son was struck.  All we could recover from his body was his dog tag. 

He did not die in vain and his sacrifice will pave the way for the victory of France.  I am so very sorry for your loss. He was a great young man and he will never be forgotten.

-Captain Pierre Gernier

Isaiah is a high school junior, studying at the Providence Country Day School in East Providence, Rhode Island.  He's currently researching universities in preparation for submitting applications of enrollment. He's never before submitted a piece of writing for publication. This is his first one...