A letter of a soldier stationed at the Continental Army at Valley Forge to his friend. | Teen Ink

A letter of a soldier stationed at the Continental Army at Valley Forge to his friend.

March 11, 2024
By Izydt SILVER, San Ramon, California
Izydt SILVER, San Ramon, California
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

May 1778


Hello, John.

How are you and your family? I hope that you are doing well and safe.
Have you heard anything from my father? It has been a while since I have written to my family. I do not want them to worry. We are preparing to leave Valley Forge camp, which served us as our home for four months. Gen. Washington picked this place because of its close proximity to keep an eye on British troops sheltering in Philadelphia and be prepared for sudden attacks.

Our severe mental and physical anguish will soon be over. Staying warm was a big challenge during the long and bitterly cold winter. I had to endure these freezing temperatures day and night. I couldn't fall asleep and got many headaches and migraines. The winds chilled me to my bones, causing pain in my fingers, toes, ears, and nose. The sensation of the cold weather hitting my skin, the breeze is like tiny needles pricking my skin.  My fingers and toes tingle with so much aches that reach to the very core of my being. I didn't have proper winter clothing and footwear for this icy weather. The camp didn't have enough blankets, and we were forced to rely on shared body heat to stay warm.  The shivers racing down my spine, Our makeshift huts were constructed using logs, branches, straw, and mud, which proved insufficient to protect us from unforgiving cold weather, contributing to the spread of illnesses and respiratory problems among the soldiers. I experienced the worst cough ever, the discomfort that it gave, every tickling sensation on my throat made me gag, the excruciating pain on my chest was spreading to my shoulders down to my ribs.


 It is unbearable to see that hunger and malnutrition exist, with not enough food or water, some are dying, and several soldiers have left and abandoned their duties. I cannot blame them for leaving; the gruesome conditions and the morale of my fellow armies were too low. We are physically weak because of hunger, impacting our ability to think clearly and act decisively. We were  trained to endure hardship, but facing hunger and deprivation  destroyed our good intention to stay. I am praying for strength and courage to overcome this physical exhaustion. 

Three weeks ago, news spread that the British loyalists spent the winter at the luxury of Philadelphia's finest homes which made us extremely angry and prompted some soldiers to leave. Too many questions wrestled in my head, why stay in Valley Forge while the British are enjoying themselves? Sometimes I almost succumb to the temptation of leaving the camp, but my heart tells me I should not give up the fight for our independence - the chance to be free from British rule. My unwavering love for our "country" compels me to stay and continue the battle.

I deeply respect and admire Gen. Washington for his courage, selflessness, and willingness to share our hardships. His presence on the battlefield and his courage boosted the morale of our troops, even in the face of adversity. He was skilled at analyzing how to position the troops effectively and making critical decisions under tight situations.

When Gen. Washington informed us that a Prussian army officer named Baron von Steuben, who trained Prussian armies to be the best in Europe, volunteered to share his expertise in military drills and training to help improve our battlefield fighting ability. Our dwindling confidence turned into “point of no return.” He shared his military tactics to fight against our enemies. We have daily military drills to prepare us physically and mentally to face the challenges of war. The grueling and intense training pushes us to be a world-class fighting force capable of beating the British. He taught us the importance of discipline and unity among the troops, which helped to boost our confidence and morale. And from our military training from Steuben, I am confident to tell you that we are ready to execute what we learned, and we have a big chance of winning the Revolutionary War. 

I can't wait to go home to be with my parents. I want to give them my warmest embrace, tell them how much I've missed them. I want to spend more  time with them, cherishing every moment. I hope one day, they will be very proud of me. 

Thank you for your time reading my letter. Extend my warmest regards to your wife and son. 

See you, my friend.


Stephen


The author's comments:

Glimpse into the trials and triumphs that shaped American history of resilient soldiers stationed at the Continental Army during the harsh winter at Valley Forge.