Unformidable Force | Teen Ink

Unformidable Force

In the year 1868 samurai were prominent in Japanese culture and thrived in all aspects of life for a very long time and now it is on the verge of coming to an end. In the village town of Kyoto Tanjiro was one of the best warriors in his village and one of the best warriors that he was appointed to protect the king for many years. His father and his grandfather were both samurai warriors and also served to protect the king. 

On one blissful day as the cherry tree blossoms. Tanjiro had gotten a mysterious letter one day. Written in blood, it says “I'm going to kill the king.” This brought Tanjiro into a panic and he had to run over to the king as fast as he could. Samurais during this time had two times the lung capacity of any regular whale. They were able to run as fast as cheetahs and for Tanjiro especially he could see when an attack was coming by heightened sound and just to be able to feel his surroundings. This came to Tanjiro because when he was a baby his father had poured acid in his eyes so he is unable to see that he was the one who killed his mother. Tanjiro's father was unable to come back to Japan and had to settle in the slums of Kyoto. His father raised him to be a mighty warrior and give back his father's honor. 

As Tanjiro is running towards the Kingdom he from the street over the water where the drawbridge is supposed to come down and starts to scale a wall and get into a window where the king is sleeping to see he is unharmed. The King wakes up frightened and screams. “WHAT ARE YOU DOING.” 

Tanjiro responds by just giving him the paper without saying anything. The King is confused, “what is this?” 

Tanjiro rebuttals, “This is your death wish your majesty,” Tanjiro has sworn on his life to keep the King safe no matter the cost. He is by the King's side all day and watches every move and everything the king eats or drinks by tasting it first. Night time comes and everything has gone pretty smoothly until 10 pm while the king is sitting on the throne. Through the multiple windows, A white light or wind or gas had been flying by all the windows at light speed. The King and Tanjiro see what is happening and are both oblivious to it. This spirit comes crashing through a window and just comes next to a vase. Tanjiro and the King are both confused about what is happening at the moment because nothing of this nature has happened before. The evil spirit then flies back out of the window. Immediately Tanjiro and the King run to a library to see what this ghostly figure is. Tanjiro picks up a book called, “Spirits and Other Worldly Things in Japanese Culture.” As he is flipping through the pages he sees a picture of the ghostly figure and reads out to the king, “A figure that has been haunting Japan since the dawn of time, he can replace your soul and can take over some of the most powerful peoples bodies and his name is Kazee.” But there was nowhere in the book to defeat it. The King responds, “What are we going to do about this? Tanjiro says, “I don’t know, but let's go back to the throne where we can see where he is coming from.” The King agrees knowing he is in the hands of one of his best fighters. As the King is sitting on the throne and Tanjiro in front of him with his hand on his sword, The ghostly spirit known as Kazee takes the soul of the King. Tanjiro is unaware that this just happened and sees the King get up and run into the secret door behind his throne that leads to the basement of the castle. Running after him, Tanjiro sees a white glow around the King’s body. He knows immediately that it is a curse from Kazee. The spirit calls out from the King's body saying, “I’m going to end the bloodline of samurai.” Tanjiro draws his sword and without hesitation, he immediately charges the spirit. Tanjiro is adamant about not killing the King. Tanjiro has sworn on his life that he will be protected at all costs. In a fierce fight between Tanjiro and the demonic spirit Kazee, Kazee landed the first blow on Tanjiro which had broken several ribs on the right side of his body. It was a detrimental blow that could’ve killed a regular person but that is not Tanjiro. He gets back up and starts going back and forth with Kazee. In the final moments Kazee had gone to attack Tanjiro, but he dodged the attack and tripped up. Tanjiro has his foot on the King’s back, not allowing him to move. He then proceeds to slice off the head of the King which was the only way of sending the spirit away. Knowing what he has done, Tanjiro gets on both knees and points his sword to his stomach. He whispers, “I’m sorry.” And stabs the sword through his stomach killing himself as he falls on his King.

the main character is named after one of my favorite animes that i love to watch named demon slayer and really is based around the show that includes samurais and fighting demons and spirits