A Pioneer Woman’s Diary: Journey on Oregon Trail | Teen Ink

A Pioneer Woman’s Diary: Journey on Oregon Trail

By Izydt SILVER, San Ramon, California
Izydt SILVER, San Ramon, California

January 30

Dear Diary,

Two weeks after, my husband broke the news about his intention to search for greener pastures out West. John’s conviction about the West's promise for a better life remained unwavering, unyielding to any doubt or uncertainty. We finally made a difficult decision to say goodbye to the life we built here in Missouri, including our beloved grocery store. With a very heavy heart, my son and I tirelessly worked day and night, meticulously pricing items, making the inventory, and arranging the canned goods for display. I began the arduous task of selling all the grocery items, and John embarked on looking for the buyer of the building. The process of selling the business proved to be physically and emotionally exhausting.

April 4

Dear Diary,

John already ordered our wagon. The wagon was made of wood with iron around the wheels like tires and covered with waterproof linen canvas. It's about 10 feet long and four feet wide. It's a bit pricey, John wants to ensure this will take us to our destination safely. Our oxen were waiting for our departure. We had already gathered everything waiting to be loaded once the wagon arrived. We packed over 1,000 pounds of food, preserved foods, coffee, bacon, sacks of rice and beans, plus dried fruits and flour. I also ensured we have basic cooking utensils, such as a coffee pot, some buckets, and an iron skillet. First aid kit and James’ favorite books and toys.

I am feeling anxious about this journey to the unknown. Our son, James, has mixed feelings, too. But John was so convinced that our life would be much better in the West. He was lured by what Marcus Whitman, a missionary who organized the Oregon Trail, said about the free land along the Oregon Trail.

May 22

Dear Diary,

Today is the start of our 2,000-mile journey. The organizer informed us that we must be in Wayne City, Missouri, by 8 o'clock in the morning or at St. Joseph, Missouri, or Omaha, Nebraska. The route ends in Oregon City, Oregon. Twenty families in our town joined the exodus. It lessens our anxiety about starting a new life in the West, knowing that we'll be with someone we are familiar with.

June 8

It was a pleasant trip for a couple of weeks; we enjoyed traversing the vast grassland and watching the many species of birds and wildlife along the way. Today, it was raining all day, making it difficult to cross the Platte River. The road was so slippery, and our wagon got stuck in the mud. Taking the oxen to the firm ground took us two hours of struggle. Animals panic when wading through deep, swift water, causing some wagons to overturn.

June 11

Every morning at 4 o'clock, Dr. White, the expedition's leader, fires his rifle to wake everyone up. At the time, women were cooking breakfast over open fires. Men are busy loading things and checking on the wagons. Children are playing. After breakfast, everybody must be ready to start our journey.

June 18

We arrived an hour ago at the Rocky Mountains of Laramie, Wyoming. The rugged terrain of the mountain made me nauseous. The trail also became very challenging for the oxen to pull the wagon, with steep ascents and descents over rocky terrain. It was a big relief when we reached the Laramie River. We were able to replenish our water supply and let the oxen graze.

June 20

We all can feel the temperature rising. The sweat and humidity make us uncomfortable. James and the other kids are experiencing heat exhaustion. James’ face flushed, his energy waning under the sweltering heat. The dust on the trail makes us sick; some are experiencing severe headaches, lightheadedness, and nausea. John was sweating excessively, and I was feeling dehydrated. I was praying that we make it through this perilous journey.

July 2

Our friend's daughter has measles. And three families turned back. Many are getting sick with cholera and smallpox. Starvation and the harsh weather conditions are discouraging others from continuing. John & I were worried that something terrible might strike us.

Aug. 5

Cholera, smallpox, and tuberculosis are spreading quickly. Many are dying. Crossing rivers was probably the most dangerous thing we did. Some people drowned, and several wagons collapsed while crossing the river. An accident happened; children were run over by heavy wagons. Clean water is getting scarce, and our food supplies are getting low. This journey is harsh and unforgiving. Our hopes are dwindling. Our physical strength is declining.