Drive By | Teen Ink

Drive By

December 19, 2023
By Anonymous

1980-1990’s, Located in Los Angeles, California, where two boys grew up together with the names of Tyrell and Denzel. They came from nothing, lived in the slums, rundown, gang violence being the norm. As kids they were always trying to make something out of nothing, stay out of trouble, they stayed true and loyal to not only each other but to themselves too. Tyrell had a rough childhood, parents didn’t know how to parent, daddy left, mom an addict, on and off with her abusive boyfriend. They had to raise themselves, and only had each other to make it through. They met as kids, first day of sixth grade on the bus ride there. That morning, Tyrell walked to the bus before the sun was even up. Same as usual, head down, hood up, headphones on with music so loud canceling out everything around him. He slumped down into the bus seat, staring out the window, waiting for the bus to go to the next stop down the road. He noticed it was still waiting there, he looked up noticing a boy around his age was trying to get his attention. 

“Anybody sittin’ here?” Denzel asked. 

“Nah man seats all yours.” Tyrell replied. 

“Preciate you.” Denzel said 

Tyrell gave him a light smile. 

Some time went by, the silence got loud. 

“So what grade you in?” Denzel questioned 

“Sixth, you” 

“Yea me too what class you goin’ to first?” 

“I got algebra first”

“Oh word me too”

Days, weeks, years went by, they talked everyday, rode the bus together everyday, they were hanging out after school, they became inseparable. If you saw one, the other was right beside. Years went by and they were still closer than ever. Since they were young, they always wanted a better life and future for themselves, they wanted nothing more than to be able to get out of the trenches and make a life for themselves. They stayed grinding, holding their own. They stayed focused, helping each other make it through another day, they protected each other, they were brothers. 

 It was now the summer of 1990, gang violence becoming worse, new gangs being introduced to the area. The “Bloods,” coming together to “protect themselves from other gang violent groups, and to participate in criminal activities.” and “Crips,” who formed to “fight police brutality and protect African-American youth from racism.” Although, this sounds like they were out to help and protect the people in the community, it quickly became the opposite. Bloods and Crips went against each other, which soon led everyone against one another, it was life for death. “Bloods” and "crips” were feared highly during this time. These gangs caused fear, tension, increased drug and alcohol use due to exposure, violence, lack of education, imprisonment, death and increased homicides. 

Denzel and Tyrell stayed hanging out with each other and a few other friends all summer. One night they decided to go to a party hosted by some people they went to highschool with. They both left their houses at around 8pm, it was dark, with light rain. 

“Ay bro meet me at the gas station around 8:30 and we’ll pull up there” Tyrell said. 

“Bet see you then.” replied Denzel. 

Tyrell left his house, threw his hood up, put his headphones on, hands in his pockets, and began walking to the gas station to meet Denzel. He could feel the rain hitting his hood, and the wind whistling through the gaps of his headphones. He was walking through a dark valley. He noticed the headlights of a blacked out, beat down Chrysler 300, windows at about a 5% tint, right tail light busted, dent in the driver’s side door. He quickly pulled his hands out of his pockets but kept his head low. He walked past it, could hear yelling once he got closer, and could smell the stench of marijuana filling the area. 

Something ain’t right, he thought. 

He ignored it, and kept walking. He got to the gas station and let out a sigh of relief when he saw Denzel standing there, waiting for him. 

“What's up bro you good?” Denzel asked.

“Yeah man I’m chillin’ lets go”

“Alright.”

They got to the party, and said what’s up to everyone there. They walked towards the pool table near the corner of the room. 

“ I'll be back, imma go get a drink, you want something.” Tyrell said.

“Yeah get me whatever you’re getting.” 

“Got you.” 

Tyrell went and got the drinks and came back and handed Denzel’s to him. Denzel was playing pool with a few others, Tyrell went and sat down on the couch across from the pool table and watched, still feeling like something was off with that car. He’s seen it all and is usually used to seeing sketch things but he had a weird feeling this time. Time passed, he soon forgot about it and joined in the pool game. Everyone is talking, laughing, enjoying each other's company, and having a good time. 

Hours passed, and the sun was going to start coming up soon so they decided to leave. They began walking back, the rain had stopped by now, and they were still talking about the night. They were coming up near where the gas station they met at before was. They heard a car approaching and then the screeching of tires, Tyrell instantly got the same feeling he did from earlier, he quickly turned his head to where the screeching was coming from. He immediately recognized the car. It was the same Chrystler he saw near the valley from earlier. 

“GET DOWN!” Tyrell yelled. 

Tyrell ran in front of Denzel, using his body to protect Denzel. 4 shots were fired from the passenger side window that was hardly cracked. Tyrell fell to the ground, blood gushing everywhere. Denzel jumped up, screaming Tyrells name, screaming for help, praying he gets up. He soon heard sirens. 

“You're gonna be okay bro hold on.”

 He kept repeating over and over until the police and ambulance got to the scene. Tyrell was considered dead on scene. 

Few weeks passed, Denzel finally was able to bring himself to go to Tyrells grave, before he left he set a bottle of henny and a flower down near him. He sat by him, and whispered  

“You forever gon be my brother. Ima make it out for us.” 

And he did.