Betrayal | Teen Ink

Betrayal

May 14, 2021
By Zmeyer03 BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri
Zmeyer03 BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It is March 22, 1775 in the small town of Lexington, Massachusetts, the tensions are rising in the new world. The British are growing angry as the common people are beginning to revolt and show disloyalty towards the King. Great King George III has tightened restrictions and refused any sort of negotiations from the townspeople. General Henry King of the British Royal Army is in charge of enforcing King George’s laws and British forces in Lexington. 

“My son, what are you doing up this late you know it is past your bedtime” says Henry to his son Jonathan. 

“I’m sorry father, I just wanted to finish this letter I am writing to King George.”

“Alright well put it aside for now and finish in the morning, we have a busy day tomorrow I have my speech to try and keep the peace with the townsmen.”

“Yes sir, goodnight.”

The next morning Jonathan and his father enjoy tea and crumpets before they head out to the town square for Henry’s speech. As they arrive they can see hundreds of  men gathered to hear him out. Their carriage is instantly surrounded by people wanting to give Henry their complaints. Before they can step out, four British soldiers begin to beat and harass the people to get them to back away from the General. 

“Father tell them to stop, the people were causing no harm.”

“They have all been told to keep away from the carriage, they know better” explained Henry

“But dad-”

“Son that is enough!”

“Yes father.”

As Jonathan is quickly silenced and directed to the stage he looks back to see the soldiers still attacking the civilians.

“My fellow Brits,” began Henry

“We have heard your cries and complaints and I am here to urge you to stop. Your revolts and your unloyalty has prompted King George to further increase your monthly taxes. The great King shall not be embarrassed on his own land. There has also been a 2 cent increase on all of your tea purchases. Last week alone we had to lock up 62 of you bloody revolutionists and we are not afraid to arrest more.”

“We will not sit quietly and pay our lives to you tyrants!” exclaimed someone from the back of the crowd as a rock nearly hits General Henry. 

“Who was that? Who threw that rock? Show yourself now you coward and you shall be punished lightly.” 

A man steps forward and says,

“You men are playing God among the people that desire peace and fair treatment and for that I will stand against King George. Whose with me?”

Shouts and screams come from the crowd in agreeance.

“What is your name peasant?” 

“I am Elijah Franklin.”

“Well Elijah,” says Henry “your acts here today must not go unpunished. You will be taken prisoner and sent back to England to be tried for treason against the King. Grab him.” 

Two British soldiers step forward and arrest Elijah. The crowd erupts in anger as Henry and Jonathan are hurried back to their carriage and returned home.

Two weeks has passed and tensions have all but lightened. As Jonathan and his dear friend Oliver Scott are walking the streets they are approached by a mysterious man.

“You’re that General's son aren’t you?’ asks the man. 

“Yes sir, who are you?” Responds Jonathan.

“My name is Thomas Washington and I was at that speech your father gave a couple weeks back. I saw the pain and despair in your eyes as your father’s men beat those innocent bystanders around your carriage.”

“I don’t know what you are talking about.” Jonathan proclaims.

“Oh yes son you do, and I am here to offer you a way to relieve that pain. Me and my colleagues we can call them have recently learned of a group of British soldiers that are marching to our town now and will be here in a week. They will just bring more pain and struggle to our community. We can not let them get here.”

“What are you saying? You know who my father is and I can have you executed for this.” responds Jonathan. 

“Yes, but you won’t. You want this great town of ours to be free as well you just haven’t realized it.” Responded Thomas. “I’ll tell you what you and your friend here go and give it some thought and come back to me when you decide.”

“Come on Oliver let's get out of here.”

After days of thought Oliver and Jonathan have began to let what Mr. Thomas Washington said sink in on them. They later agreed that they will return to hear the man out but at all costs keep it a secret from Jonathan’s father Henry. The boys return to the same spot later that night and wait for the man to show up. Soon they are approached and hurried off the street into a nearby building. Inside there are close to 20 men standing around a replica field just on the other side of town. They are told of an ambush on the British soldiers and are told that they will be trained in the next two weeks to fight and use the stolen guns the rebels have acquired. The boys return home and meet again the next morning to begin their training. 

With Henry gone the night before the attack, Jonathan and Oliver are sitting inside Jonathan's house preparing their guns for tomorrow's ambush. As the boys are cleaning their muskets and getting their cartridges arranged in their brown pants pockets, they here the door open behind them. Henry walks in and freezes. 

“Son, Oliver, what is this?” Asks Henry confused..

“Father-” begins Jonathan before being cut off. 

“Where did you get these rifles?” Screams his father. 

“We are tired of the King's rule over our people. It is not right and needs to be stopped.”

“Are you speaking of treason in MY OWN HOUSEHOLD?”

“Father it is not treason, it is a new beginning.”

“After all the King has done for you after all I have done for you, this is how you repay me? This is how you show your loyalty to great King George III?”

“FATHER ENOUGH.” Jonathan yells, “Me and Oliver have joined the resistance. It is now on you to decide whether you will betray your own son and fight against me or stand with us and help defeat these tyrants.” Jonathan explains.

“You, YOU dare speak of betrayal to ME? I should have you arrested and hung for your acts here. Where is this attack happening? Why are you guys preparing your rifles now? Tell me or I will have you arrested.”

“Father I am sorry but this is where we part. If you decide to join the winning side and defend your son you can meet us at the field across the town at half past noon tomorrow.” Jonathan says as him and Oliver get up and leave.

The next day at noon Henry gets on his horse and rides as fast as he can to get to the battlefield. He is halfway there when he stops and dismounts his horse. His horse goes running in fear back the way they came. Henry couldn’t believe what he had heard. A gunshot. As the general arrives at the field he can see men and blood covering the once green grass on the outskirts of town. He sees the red coats of the British begin to advance up the field cheering and screaming. Across from him he can see 10 men hiding behind two large boulders. He runs onto the battlefield and yells for the redcoats to stop. Nothing happens. He is soon pushed out of the way as the soldiers march forward onto the enemies position. He draws his musket and shoots in the air and the soldiers freeze as they realize who he is. The rebels hear the footsteps halt and rise to see what had happened. Once they see the redcoats stopping they begin to run for the hills. All besides one. Jonathan steps out from behind the boulder and lays down his weapon. He begins to walk toward the general and all focus turns to him. Three Brits raise their rifles towards the kid.

“NO!’ Shouts Henry.

It was too late, three shots were fired as he watched his son drop to his knees before the men. General Henry King runs to one of the soldiers who shot and stabs his bayonet through the man. He drops his musket and catches his son who is falling to the ground. As their eyes meet and a tear drops down Jonathans right cheek, Henry whispers,

“I will never betray you. Your death will not be for nothing.”

The End


The author's comments:

I am an 18 year old enlisted in the United States Army and have used writing as a way to escape the constant pressure and terrifying situations that I am put into everyday.