An Act of Kindness | Teen Ink

An Act of Kindness

November 7, 2018
By Tango_Horizon SILVER, Casey, Iowa
Tango_Horizon SILVER, Casey, Iowa
5 articles 0 photos 1 comment

I looked at the overhead station clock, it read 7:09 PM, I was nine minutes late. I hurried down the stairs to the new subway station. I can't believe I was nine minutes late to the grand opening of New York City’s new subway. I rushed down to the station and joined the line. I waited in line for what had felt like hours. Person by person, inch by inch until I found myself at the front of the line. The man asked for my nickel. I reached into my coat pocket and felt around, but felt nothing. I frantically start checking my pockets, but to find nothing except lint.

I had left my nickel sitting on the dining room table.

The man asked me to step out of line so the rest of the passengers could pay and board the subway. I went from person to person asking if they could spare some change, just one nickel. Many people thought I was just some lowly beggar and shot me spiteful looks, others looked at me with pity. I was losing hope of being able to board the first subway on opening day when I was pulled out of my thoughts when an elderly woman, face full of kindness, handed me her own nickel. I was struck with awe. Why would this woman give me her own nickel when she herself was going to board the subway. I looked up from the nickel to ask her why but to only find people walking by in a hurry, I could no longer see the kind woman. Without wanting to waste the woman’s act of kindness I got back into line. As I reached the front of the line again the man asked for my nickel. I gave him my nickel and walked down to the platform.

The platform was crowded with people talking, children crying, and families boarding. I walked up to the car I wanted to board and looked inside. It looked clean and new, yet crowded. I boarded and grabbed one of the ceiling railings. After about five minutes the doors closed and the subway started to roll along the tracks away from the station, platform, and families waiting to board. As we entered the dark tunnel I hoped that the ride would never stop, for I never wanted to forget the face of the woman that gave up her own ride for mine.


The author's comments:

This story was based on October 27, 1904, when the first subway in New York City opened to the public.