See You Again | Teen Ink

See You Again

May 24, 2018
By jordynfaith BRONZE, Lewisville, Texas
jordynfaith BRONZE, Lewisville, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“It’s ok. You’re ok, baby,” Amaya whispered through her tears, holding her rather huge dog up to the best of her ability. “Now I see why Steven forced those arm workouts on us during training,” she thought.  She pressed the, now stained, camo t-shirt harder into the wound on her dog’s side.  The image of Amaya’s father passed out drunk with a gun in his hand, while her dog, Athena, lay next to a small yellow puddle and brown pile on the floor, a bullet wound in her side, flashed through her mind.  Upon seeing the scene in front of her, she immediately grabbed the t-shirt off the overturned chair, pressed the fabric to the wound, scooped Athena up in her arms and started running through the night to the closest place she knew someone could help: Headquarters, from which she left fifteen minutes prior.
“Come on, come on,” she repeated to herself, watching as the numbers on the elevator increased slowly.  Finally, the elevator stopped on the floor of the common room.  As soon as the door slid open, Amaya rushed out, past the kitchen and into the common room where her team lounged, “Because of Winn Dixie” playing on the TV.
“Bryan! Anthony!!” Amaya cried upon reaching them.  Every head turned in her direction, taking in her disheveled appearance.  Their eyes widened when they saw the dog in her hands, whimpering from the pain.  “Bryan, Anthony, please, help me.  I can’t lose her, please,” Amaya cried louder.  In a matter of seconds, everyone sprang to their feet. Steven took the dog from her hands, and the lot hurriedly followed Anthony and Bryan, who were already halfway to the medical lab. 
When there, Amaya and Steven followed the two scientists into the pristine lab.  Steven carefully laid the whining creature on the operating table per Bryan’s instruction.  “Kiddo, you’re gonna have to wait outside.  This won’t be pretty, and we can’t be distracted,” Anthony said, gently.  Amaya nodded, and allowed Steven to lead her into the hallway.  The rest of the team awaited them.  Natalie took Amaya into her arms the second her green orbs landed on her swollen, red eyes.
“??? ?????????, what happened?” she asked.
“I came home and my dad was passed out holding his gun and she was laying next to an accident she had and I guess he got mad and shot her while he was drunk he never liked her but I didn’t think he would do this,” Amaya rambled, tears rolling down her cheeks as she thought back to her beloved’s wailing form, laying motionless with blood dripping out of the bullet wound in her side.  Amaya choked out a sob and sank to her knees, doubled over as sob after sob racked her body.  She felt someone kneel beside her and a giant arm wrap around her body.
“Do you want to come upstairs?” asked James.
“No, I need to stay down here in case she needs me,” Amaya whispered.  She fell onto her butt and scooted until her back hit the wall.  With her knees pulled to her chest, arms wrapped securely around them, Amaya fixed her gaze to the door of the lab.  None of them argued, knowing how stubborn she is, and left her by the door.  Every once in awhile they checked on Amaya individually, some bringing blankets, food, or water.  The gifts remained untouched,  Amaya not even acknowledging their existence.  Her eyes and ears remained trained on the door to the lab, which she was sure Anthony and Bryan soundproofed.  The only thought on her mind was of her precious pet’s survival.
***
Hours later, the door opened, revealing two very tired scientists, both wearing somber expressions.  Amaya leapt to her feet and looked at them expectantly.  “Amaya,” started Anthony, “we tried, but it was too late.  Too much damage had been done.  She’s gone.”  Amaya’s heart dropped, and her ears started ringing.  Tears pricked her eyes as she tried to process what she just heard.
“Go in there,” said Bryan.  “We’ll give you some privacy.”  Amaya nodded and made her way into the lab.  The sight of her little baby lying motionless on the exam table shattered her heart into a million pieces that would never come back together the same.  She sat on the stool to the right of the table, in front of the heart monitor that no longer beeped. She grasped a cold forepaw in her hands.  Amaya looked at the furry animal, ears straining to hear a faint heartbeat, a small exhale, but she knew it was false hope.
“Baby,” her voice cracked, and she took a minute to compose yourself.  “My little chicken nugget.  I remember when I first saw you.  You were all smiles in that little shelter.  When they let you out of your cage, and you came barreling towards me, jumping on me and licking my face, I knew that I loved you, right then and there.  I remember when we brought you home, and you were nervous and stuck by me.  I remember coming home from school after you hadn’t seen anyone in hours, and you ran towards me like it had been weeks since you last saw me.  I remember that time when you jumped up and took the chicken right off of my plate,” Amaya let out a weak giggle.  “You were with me when I cried, and when I wanted to laugh.  You weren’t just some animal.  You were my friend, my baby, my sweet little angel taken away from the world you loved by a father who only knows how to hate. You came into my life when I was at my lowest, a ray of sunshine breaking through the seemingly never ending darkness.  I hope that wherever you are you are happy and safe.  I love you so, so, so, much.” Amaya choked. “And I can’t wait to see you again.”  Hot tears flowed steadily down her face as she leaned forward and kissed Athena’s nose.  Amaya got up and laid down next to Athena on the exam table, wanting to sleep, cuddled up to her angel one last time.
***
“I’m worried about her,” said Natalie from her place between Steven and James in the door that led to the yard.  The two soldiers nodded as the three of them continued staring at the back of Amaya’s hunched form.  She was seated under her thinking tree, the place she went when her mind needed a breather, the pale moonlight shining down on her and the sounds of New York City filling the air. The tree also served as the resting place of her precious Athena, buried early that morning. She lost count of how many hours have passed since she sat down.
“She really loved that dog.” Steven stated the obvious.  “She talked about Athena as if she had hung the moon in the sky.”
“At least that crap father of hers is in prison for five years.  Abusive crap.  He deserves it,” James growled.  James was especially protective of Amaya, and the team locked him away for a good six hours to prevent him from mangling the girl’s father.  The other two didn’t respond, just continued watching Amaya.
After another five minutes James spoke up. “You guys go ahead and go to bed.  I’ll get her inside.”  Nat and Steven nodded before heading towards the elevator.  James walked, quietly, up to Amaya.  He sat down next to her.  Her eyes stayed on the ground.
“Doll,” he started, “You gotta come inside.”   A heavy sigh.  James struggled over what to say; given his past, he never knew how to talk to people -- especially grieving, vulnerable people.  “I know it hurts, doll, but you gotta keep going.”  Amaya lifted her gaze to the sky.  Though the bright lights of NYC washed out the stars, the moon shone white and clear.
“It hurts so bad,” she croaked, voice rough from lack of use.  Her hands tugged on a loose thread hanging from her sweater.  “She was so pure and innocent, loved everything and everyone.  Now she is six feet under, unjustifiably murdered.  Makes you realize how repulsive this world is.”  She let out a bitter chuckle, snapping the thread completely.  “I’m gonna miss her,” Amaya whispered.
“I know you are, darling,” James said.  “But you gotta get back on your feet.  Athena wouldn’t want her best friend sulking.  She would want you to be happy.  She wants her owner to be as brave as the goddess she named her after. That’s all a dog ever wants -- for their owner to be happy.    It sucks, and it hurts, but life goes on.  She expects you to live it, with or without her.”
Silence fell between them as Amaya thought over James’ words.  “You’re right. Thanks, James.  It’s gonna be hard, but I gotta do it.  For her.”  She gave him a small smile.  “For someone who isn’t so good with words, that was pretty good.”  James smiled back.
“Come on, kid.  Let’s go inside.”


The author's comments:

I originally wrote this piece as a two-parter on my Tumblr.  I took the first part and the first half of the second part, put them together, and had it revised for a project in my creative writing class.  I changed the names of the characters, however, I'm sure you guys can guess which fandom this belongs to.